United States
83F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 07m 34s
Overall Rank = 60/255
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 12/31
Pre-race routine:

Get off duty from ambulance at 8pm then night before race. Spen some time w/ family. Couple hours of sleep. Awake at 1:45 am, leave house at 2am. Drive over 2 hours to race start on other side of island while eating a breakfast of gas station coffee and 2 uncrustables (grape and strawberry). Get to race start and have a good BM(TMI???)
Event warmup:

Meet w/ other marathon maniacs and take pictures. Cough, sneeze and blow snot rockets.
Run
  • 4h 07m 34s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
What would you do differently?:

Not get sick w/ a cold the week of race, and probably do a training run greater than 14 miles the 3 month preceeding the race.
Post race
Warm down:

meet up w/the maniacs already finished. walk to truck to get extra clothes. walk to beach shower and rinse off. then go to massage tent for a good post race rub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

illness, lack of marathon specific lsd runs

Event comments:

5 days out from the race began to get very congested and it only got worse as the week progressed. Didn't get the training I wanted and was pretty well laid up for the week. I didn't have much expectations from this race, but I knew my conditioning was good from all the HIM training. I won the clydesdale division last year here w/ a 4:19, but that was 30 pounds ago. w/ the lack of training and illness I was hoping to at least match that time.
The race started and I cough up some yellow lung butter, blew some snot rockets and set a comfortable pace. I checked my HR at a couple miles and decided to race according to a 160 HR. At the 15 mile mark I knew that a sub 4 was possible, but didn't want to risk it considering the heat and humidity of Kona, and that I wasn't 100%. I stayed on course and PR'd at 4:07. I'm very happy w/ that, but I'm shooting for sub4 soon, and think that I could maybe get much faster w/ more training.

Last updated: 2008-06-13 12:00 AM
Running
04:07:34 | 26.2 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 12/31
Overall: 60/255
Performance: Good
average HR 160
Course: same as kona IM but different start/finish point.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-01 4:53 AM

User image

Regular
Hilo, Hawaii
Subject: Kona Marathon

2008-07-02 4:27 PM
in reply to: #1501025

User image

Hawai'i
Subject: RE: Kona Marathon
Fantastic Marathon. Way to stick it out through all the nastiness.

Will you be doing Volcano this year? I haven't checked to see how they laid out the new course yet.
2008-07-08 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1501025

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Kona Marathon
Love the RR, it was very, um, colorful  Great job on PRing and being sick at the same time.  Multi-tasking, huh
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kona Marathon Rss Feed