Scantic Valley YMCA
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 48s
Overall Rank = 42/108
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 3/11
Pre-race routine:

Arrived in just enough time to get my husband through registration - he decided to do the bike and run as my support (he didn't want to do the swim).
Event warmup:

Swam the course once through to warm up - it's a short swim and I wanted to be ready to sprint....felt good at the start.
Swim
  • 05m 31s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't have any official times for the splits, this tri didn't offer it. (no chips/mats) All times are off of my husbands watch.
What would you do differently?:

Be more aggressive in the start - we went through lily pads and slime and it was sort of repulsive and smelly. Guess I need to harden up, huh?

Find someone and draft...I didn't catch anyone because I was too far away from the pack.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Flew through transition - it was a few hundreds yards away. Ran up a newly paved road to get to it.....couldn't have done it any faster, I think.

nothing
Bike
  • 49h 53m
  • 15 miles
  • 0.30 mile/hr
Comments:

Loved the bike portion - I wasn't setting any course records by any means, but I was very happy with my overall performance. It felt awesome and it's always been my hardest area!

Cornering still scares me - I have nightmares about wiping out...

Not much - get a lot more practice I think.

:0)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I don't have any more split times as my husband didn't keep track after the bike portion. :-(

T2 felt good though - I beat him out of the area but he caught up to me within a half mile.

Nothing
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The run course sucked, quite frankly. It was all in the sun, and it followed a sidewalk that you had to run around 6 times. Boring and hot sums it up. Coming into the finish you had to make a very hard left turn and there was no way you could get a hard kick in. They really need to address this and come up with a better course.

Run faster - I was worried about it being too hot and burning out, but I feel like I had too much left at the end of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, cheered for the rest of the people coming in. (my husband! - They messed up the count of laps for him and he ended up doing a half mile extra.....I told him it was penance for not doing the swim)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just myself/training

Event comments:

Not much to do after - they offered just gatorade and bananas, but it was a small tri. Did the awards ceremony much too late. (a full hour after the race was finished)

Last updated: 2008-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:31 | 300 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 0/108
Performance: Average
Went off course - tried starting on the far outside of the buoys to get around the cluster at the start. Ended up swimming next to the guy in the kayak (1) as he directed me back on course :-) Swim felt good overall though - I wish I could stay with the 3 stroke breath but once I get in a race it goes out the window and I need to resort to breathing every other. Oh well, with practice I bet it will come.
Suit: No
Course: Out and back - 300 yards
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
49:53:00 | 15 miles | 0.30 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Could've been faster, but I felt like I worked hard and only a few people passed me. One female, the rest male and mostly on tri bikes. Was able to carry on conversations with my husband about houses for sale, etc. Just a nice course/ride in general. Attacked long hills, I'm very excited about that. (I'm kind of a wussy when it comes to hills)
Wind: Little
Course: Loop with some flat, some little hills and two fairly sizeable hills (I passed a guy on a tri bike going up the first one - it was a proud moment for me!)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 19
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 6 Laps around, half mile increments.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes