Normal breakfast
Event warmup:

Jogged up the trail a quarter mile and back
Run
  • 1h 11m 48s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out mid pack. Felt good the first mile, although it was slow going due to the uphill and the crowded trail. After the first mile it became less crowded and I was able to run a bit faster. Around mile 3 I started having some GI problems which caused me to slow. I was able to maintain a steady, but slow pace on the uphill without walking. I came through the turnaround at about 41:00. I still didn't feel that great and I didn't run hard on the first mile or so of downhill. Many people passed me. When the course went back on the trail I finally started feeling a little better and was able to pick up the pace and start passing people again. I ran the last half mile strongly and passed 5-6 people in the last couple hundred yards.
What would you do differently?:

Train more for the significant uphill. Not sure about the GI problem. I've had it before a few years ago, but I don't know what caused it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, stretched, drank several bottles of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The GI problem likely caused me to be about 4-5 minutes slower. It was just one of the days.

Event comments:

This is race two of the Triple Crown of Running series. All the courses are challenging. This is a well run event.

Last updated: 2008-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:11:48 | 07.46 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 24/59
Overall: 257/667
Performance: Average
Course: The Summer Roundup uses the trails in Bear Creek Park to get to High Drive on the west side of Colorado Springs. Both the trails and High Drive are well-groomed with lots of spectacular scenery. The out-and-back course is mostly uphill on the way out, and mostly downhill on the way back. Starting elevation is about 6,170', and the elevation at the turn around point is about 7,165'. That’s nearly 1,000' elevation gain in 3.7 miles (at the turn around point).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-06 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: Summer Roundup Trail Run 12K

2008-07-07 11:56 AM
in reply to: #1510305

User image

Veteran
Denver
Subject: RE: Summer Roundup Trail Run 12K

Nice race! i thought I saw you while looking at the results printout.  I did this race too, but didn't really "race" it... my friend and I had gone to a few of the training runs, so we were familiar with the course though we should have run more up high drive! That part sucked!  Anyway, good job and I'll see you around town

Norine 

2008-07-07 6:55 PM
in reply to: #1511935

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Subject: RE: Summer Roundup Trail Run 12K
Thanks. I thought it was a fun race. I wish I had felt better. Just one of those days I guess.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Summer Roundup Trail Run 12K Rss Feed