General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sodium Intake Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-01-24 2:09 AM

User image

Regular
Adelaide, South Australia
Subject: Sodium Intake
I know there has been some comment in the past about sodium intake and hyponatraemia(hope I spelt that right!), but my questions relates to the unplanned sodium intake... ie drinking large quantities of the salt water lake I race in !!

I find it extremely hard to drink on the bike and run after downing quantities of salt water during the swim. Is it something to do with my technique, or is it just one of 'those' things. If it is one of those things does anyone have any tricks that they do to coutneract that awful taste in the back of the throat that sticks with you throughout the bike and run. I tried gargling water on the ride and also my electrolyte drink as well but it didn't really help.

I'm starting to get sick of running out of energy due to not feeling like I can stomach anything after drinking the salt water.

2005-01-24 3:33 AM
in reply to: #107578

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
Subject: RE: Sodium Intake
Do you take in water on all your swims, or just your races? If just your races, what makes them different? Are there waves that you have to contend with and which get in your face?

If you're having problems just in your races, you might consider doing some open water swims in those lakes to improve your technique.

Otherwise, I have no idea. I've never done any "real" swimming in salt water (snorkeling doesn't count).
2005-01-24 3:57 AM

User image

Regular
Adelaide, South Australia
The problem is only in the races. I have trained in open water before and haven't had such a problem in training. I find that when I'm pushing it, ie during racing, is when I'm really taking alot of water.

I do open water swims about once a week in training waves arent really an issues as they are no bigger than my pinkie. I just wish that I could find an answer for the problem existing in race conditions.

Could it be that I'm rushing my stroke and bringing my arm through too quick? Maybe I just need to relax more during racing. I am also probably overdoing the racing, going beyond what my body can handle(still slow though!!!) but being new to the sport I'm not at a level to comfortably compete with people, I have to exert alot to keep up.
2005-01-24 8:21 PM

User image

Elite
Racine, WI
Were the races in question  crowded?  Maybe the splashing from other swimmers got in your face (no pun intended)?
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sodium Intake Rss Feed