Tortoise and Hare
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 21m 27s
Overall Rank = 141/691
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 15/27
Event warmup:

Normal warmup (or overachieving as my lovely wife puts it). About ten minutes of light jogging, stretching, running and running drills. Did a few accelerations to race pace to get the heart rate up.
Run
  • 21m 27s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Very uneventful race. Used my footpod to try to keep a steady pace. Was shooting for 7:15/mi on the uphills, 6:45 on the downhills, and 7:00 on the flats. Executed this very well.

When we made the final term for the finish line (about .3miles to go), I was feeling great and on pace for a PR so I really pushed it hard here. First time in a long time that I passed people in the home stretch (usually I am the one getting passed). Even managed to hold someone off during a 50yd all out sprint to the finish.

A new PR by 18 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Definitely could have pushed mile 2-3 harder. I had a big finishing kick and something left in the tank at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a cup a water and walked back to watch Brandy in the home stretch (she crushed her PR). Walked to the finish, found Brandy, and grabbed some food and hung out for awhile.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Don't think anything did. Set a new PR on a somewhat difficult course.

Event comments:

This is an awesome 5k. Organized and very well run. Awesome post race food selection (I've done duathlons that don't have this selection).

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:27 | 03.11 miles | 06m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/27
Overall: 141/691
Performance: Good
Course: Hard to describe this course. You do 1.5 loops of one section followed by another loop. The chunk that you do twice as a long climb on it (doesn't look like much, but it can take it out of you). About the last .25mi is downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?