General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Forest Grove, Oregon
United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 39s
Overall Rank = 71/249
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 3/5
Pre-race routine:

Not much. Weather was perfect. It was a sprint tri. I was more relaxed before the race than before any other race (of any kind). However I did break my rule to make sure I got a full night's sleep 2 nights before a race, so I didn't feel well rested.
Event warmup:

I swam a couple of hundred yards before my heat. It was a short 1/2 mile so I knew I would want to go fast from the start.
Swim
  • 11m 13s
  • 879 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Where do I start. I am a swimmer and have swam my share of open water races, but I have never had an experience even remotely close to what happened to me in the swim. I took off with the over 40 wave. I expected to lead or be with the leader. A hundred yards out I could tell I had pulled away, but at 200 yards I was stopped abruptly by a kayaker and his paddle. He pulled right in front of me and insisted that I was off course. He blocked my way and forced me in the direction of a different colored course marker (orange instead of white). I knew this was wrong. The orange marker was or the swim short Tri-It distance. Unfortunately, there was just no getting around this guy, so I turned left to the wrong marker. I ended up coming across other swimmers catching up so I joined the pack and swam on. No sooner than I had rounded the first buoy (the correct one) and passed the people ahead of me, I realized that the next kayaker was right in the middle of the line of sight to the next buoy. I started yelling at him to no avail. So I just swam on intent on swamping him if he got in the way. Lucky for him he did not. Many people complained they could simply not see the 2nd buoy.

I managed to pass everyone in the over 40 wave so no harm suffered, but I felt bad for any of those behind me that may have run into similar problems and did not have the open water experience. As it turns out 2 woman told me he had hit them with his paddle trying to get them to make the wrong turn. I spoke to the course director, who appeared politely concerned. Clearly not a competitor, it looked like this was a minor issue since no one drowned. I guess in that sense it was.
What would you do differently?:

Knock the first kayaker out of his boat and ignore the second one.
Transition 1
  • 03m 33s
Comments:

When will I ever learn to be quicker in transition. It was only the second time I swam in a wetsuit, and did my worst getting my suit off. It all seems so simple in practice. I gave away at least 1 minute here.

Train at this venue, race the swim, run up the hill to the transition area, take off my wetsuit, and put shoes and socks on. I'm going to do this 3 times in a row. I hope this helps.
Bike
  • 41m 23s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Train more on the bike. I love racing the bike and I go much faster with the proper training. I just got a late start on my training this year.

Brick training: bike to run.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

Missed my aisle on returning with my bike. First time for that.

Run faster and stay focused on my location. I think I gave away as much 30 seconds here.
Run
  • 27m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I almost didn't complete the race. At the top of the first hill (at approx. 2/3 mile post) I almost stopped. I am fighting a piriformis injury and was running on one leg. However once over the top I could relax that muscle and slowly increase my speed. I always run the second half much faster

I came up short on training. This was the primary reason I did the sprint. Get more running in.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit and drank lots of water. My legs were stiff but I was not tired.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Insufficient training due to early season injury. Unresolved piriformis injury. Getting more "mature" every day.

Event comments:

Choosing the sprint distance was the right right choice. It allowed me to have more fun racing and less time surviving. I was in a tough age group (really). The other two 55 year olds that beat me in my age group finished 13th and 49th overall respectively in this field of 249.

Last updated: 2008-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:13 | 879 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 10/249
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot Z1
Course: Counterclockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:33
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:23 | 12.5 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 99/249
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills around a lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:27:29 | 03.11 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 131/249
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly on a road. Out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-14 5:25 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hagg Lake Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed