Alberta Triathlon Association
20C / 68F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 30s
Overall Rank = 31/90
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 8/21
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30. At some Cheerios w/banana and skim milk. Prepared my water bottles and left.
Event warmup:

I had my suit on and did a 10 minute or so warmup. Should of done more, I think.
Swim
  • 31m 20s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well if you told me before the race I'd swim a 31:20 on race day I'd have taken it. So I can't complain too much. But, I really struggled through the first 200-300m. I had my goggles knocked right away and had to roll on my back to adjust. My heart was pounding and I had to breast stroke a couple times to catch my breath. I did eventually settle in and swam the last 1200m without too many problems. I was breathing to my right the whole time when usually I bi-lateral breath in training. Neck was getting sore from going to the right the entire time, but to the left didn't feel comfortable.
What would you do differently?:

I will now breath every two strokes in training. To the right for a lap, to the left for a lap. And really, just need to get more swim training in.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

I thought I did this well. I'm guessing on the transition time because it was included in my bike time. Could of maybe clipped in faster, but not too bad. Official time - my Garmin time = T1+T2.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 14s
  • 42.2 kms
  • 31.96 km/hr
Comments:

This was a 2-lap out and back on McKnight. There was some construction that made the road pretty bumpy in spots. Overall the pavement was crap and it made for a rough ride. There was also a set of tracks that you had to cross. They did their best to cover them but I still cringed when I went over them. The ride was also 42.2kms as per my Garmin.

Went out strong passing 6 right away. My early pace of 35-37 kms but I couldn't hold it and slowed throughout, finishing with a 32km average but I know there were times when riding into the wind that I was going as slow as 28km. Three guys past me on their tri-bikes, one of them being of the 6 I past right away. Overall I was by myself for a lot of the time. I'd look back and see nobody and the people ahead were way ahead.

Technique wise I thought I did well. I was pedaling well and tried to keep low.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

Guess it was alright. Put on socks, shoes, tied shoes, removed helmet, gone.

The quick draw laces is the way to go. A lot of time spent doing up shoelaces.
Run
  • 48m 10s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 49s  min/km
Comments:

The run was a 4-lap loop around the Coral Springs community. A small incline starts each lap while the decline ends them. Once again I pass a bunch of people right away. It was hard to tell who were in the sprint and who were in the olympic and what lap everybody was on. I eventually figured it out based on their bib numbers.

I basically ran from guy to guy. I'd pass one and look for the next. A couple guys had good paces and were definitely racing me. They'd see me coming and pick it up. That made it fun. Two of the three guys that passed me on their tri-bikes I passed on the run. That made me feel good. A guy that I passed on lap 1 passed me back on lap 3 as well as another I was trying to reel in....well, my lap three...he actually ran to the finish with the guy I was trying to catch, both were an entire lap ahead of me. The last lap I ran pretty much alone again. Lapped two people.

Tough to say. I think my run strategy was good. I thought my pace was pretty even. I didn't keep lap times, but I should try to next year. I'm unsure if the guy who passed me back on lap 3 sped up or if I slowed down. Probably a little of both. Just going to keep putting in more miles and work towards a sub 40 one day.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Shook the legs out. Had some water and accelerade with a banana.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing but more training and some body weight. My goal time for the race was 2:45. I came in under that with there being a longer bike leg. Had it been a true 40k I could of had a sub 2:40. I'm a happy with my performance. Doing it was the biggest thing. I've never been more proud to receive a "finisher" medal.

Event comments:

This is my first race ever, so I don't have much to compare it against. It wasn't running really that late, only 15 minutes or so. One drink station on the run. Don't remember seeing any on the bike.

Last updated: 2008-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:20 | 1500 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 53/90
Performance: Below average
Suit: De Soto First Wave
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad