Team-Magic
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 22m 42s
Overall Rank = 955/1288
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 34/40
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at my hotel bright and early on Sunday morning. Ate some poptarts and drank some water. Headed over to transition and started to get ready. Put my bike in the transition rack and laid out my bag along with helmet, running shoes...etc. It was actually nice to get to transition and be able to lay my stuff out in a nice fashion. The past couple of tri's I always got stuck next to the guy that was literally having a picnic in transition. He would bring everything except a grill. The next step was body marking. Unfortunately they had to put my USAT age on my calf instead of my real age. I was turning 33 the next day, and I wasn't too thrilled about having 33 on my calf. Oh well...what can you do. Age is just a number, right? Got bodymarked and started to apply sunscreen and my numbers turned into big blobs of ink on my arms. You could not tell what number I was.
Swim
  • 31m 33s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

I actually had a great swim. Normally I'm directionally challenged and I go off course. Honestly, I could go off course on a waterslide. When I did the race 2 years ago I was 4 minutes faster and I went off course more times than I can count. This time around, I stayed on track, and finished slower. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

I think that I really need to work on not having my hips drop.
Transition 1
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

Transistion went fine. The only thing that I forgot were my gloves, which I noticed halfway through the bike.
Bike
  • 1h 39m 59s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.91 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a tough bike course and I wasn't too prepared for it. I did fine, but the worse part was when it was raining. I couldn't see the road and I was worried that while going down hill, I was either going to wreck or veer off course and get hit by a semi. Neither happened, so I'm pleased.

I was very nervous about going down hill on this course. Last September I was riding in the Georgia mountains and I crashed coming down Hogpen. So...I was very nervous about going down hill and was trying to avoid hills for a number of months because of my little crash. However, the good news is that I survived this race and now I feel extremely confident about going down hill. While my time sucked on the bike course, I was able to get much more out of it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Typical transition for me. I grabbed a gu and some powerade and headed out.
Run
  • 1h 04m 19s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I didn't take the run too seriously, but to be honest, I was very pleased with my time. I had a lot of fun, and I think some people didn't like that I jumped in a puddle and splashed around a bit. I'm a combined run/walker so I had numerous people telling me that I need to "get moving" because I was walking. One guy told me that I need to move up this hill faster. If that is trying to motivate me, it is not working.

One other clydesdale and I played leapfrog quite a bit. Once I got to the final mile, I turned on the afterburners and sprinted in. Well...maybe not sprinted in, but I passed a few people.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some beer.

Event comments:

I had a great time doing this race. Not only was it very organized, but even after the race, they had tons of food for the hungry triathlete. I was going to give this race a 9, but because they served Yuengling Lager, it automatically gets a 10. Had a blast and I'm looking forward to doing this race next year.

Last updated: 2008-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:33 | 1500 meters | 02m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/1288
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point swim
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:17
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:39:59 | 24.85 miles | 14.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/40
Overall: 0/1288
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back with some nice hills.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good