Start2Finish
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 35m 6s
Overall Rank = 200/300+
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 30/32
Pre-race routine:

Was alittle rushd before the race getting everything set up and running gear to different transition areas.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam some prior to race.
Swim
  • 09m 35s
  • 600 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went really well. I was 11th in my age group out of the water. This is quickly becoming my favorite part of the race. I got to much in the middle of the pack than I would have preferred and really had a lot of bumping and grabbing in the water, but I felt strong on the water.
What would you do differently?:

Get alittle more outside of the group so I was not swimming over people.
Transition 1
  • 03m 44s
Comments:

T1 went a little bad, I wanted to wear my biking shirt since it was really hott and sunny, but the shirt was so tight I had trouble getting it on, then had trouble getting my shoes clipped into my pedals, also could not wear my bike gloves, so I ditched them. Also we had to bag all of our stuff up for them to transport it to the 2nd transition area, which was new to me.

Have a bigger biking shirt and not worry about wearing gloves.
Bike
  • 46m 50s
  • 13 miles
  • 16.65 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt ok on the bike, and tried to keep a constant average up, but some of the hills took a lot out of me. The wind was a problem too. I was happy with my time overall, but I still need to average a faster pace.

Work on gear shifts, faster overall pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

T2 seemed to go a lot smother than T2.

Not alot actually, except try to get there faster.
Run
  • 32m 56s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was tough for me, I would have sworn it was a out and back route and kept waiting for the turn around point, which never came! I was alittle surprised when I saw the finish line and then had to turn away from it and run around the block to finish, which was a shocker!

more brick workouts and continued running. If I stop the first time, makes it easier for me to stop a second time. Overall, I was happy with my run time. I am making progress.
Post race
Warm down:

Roam around the finish area and grab some water waiting for wife and kids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the vcation probably didn't help, but I need to work on the bike and run portion more.

Event comments:

Only thing I did not really like abot this race was not knowing there was a seperate place to drop off your shoes, then you had to bag up your swim stuff before the bike and then having to get shuttled back to pick everything up. It was hard on the wife and kids becasue they got to see very little of the race.

Last updated: 2008-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:35 | 600 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/32
Overall: 0/300+
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Rectantgular in shape, only made two turns.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:44
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:50 | 13 miles | 16.65 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/32
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: The bike route was hilly I thought, seems there were hills after each turn. There was a huge hill right at the begining and I got caught inthe wrong gear and decided to walk it up instead of risking popping my chain off the bike. Other than that, I thought I did alright on the bike, still need more speed.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:32:56 | 03.1 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/32
Performance: Average
Course: The run portion was not too bad, had some hills, some flats and a lot ofcurves.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-20 12:50 PM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: MightyMite Triathlon

2008-07-20 11:42 PM
in reply to: #1543298

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
Subject: RE: MightyMite Triathlon
It was a pretty tough course! I had heard it wasn't a very spectator friendly event due to it being a point to point raceand prepared my wife for such. She dropped me off at the Lake parking lot and then went to the finish line and read a book until people started coming in.

I thought it was a fun and challenging race though! You asked which race I was doing next.. its possible I'll do the race in Tupelo the first weekend of August but definantly the race I believe the following week at Herb Parsons Lake. What about you?
2008-07-21 12:16 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

My next race scheduled is the CATS Sprint (Sept 14) in Conway Ar, and then I am doing the Los Locos Duathlon (Sept 28).

2008-07-21 10:21 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Really good job!  That swim was awesome.  Sounds like a weird set-up with the transitions and all.
2008-07-21 2:41 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Hey, congratulations!  That is so great that swimming's your best event.  That is really weird about the separate TAs.
2008-07-21 7:47 PM

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Nice swim!!!!!! very nice pace! Yeah, the pack does get crappy, but you want to be in it after 300y because you are drafting off their wake.

Don't worry about your bike pace... it's nice, and although it's not where you want right now, when you taper you just tend to pick it up 1 or 1.5mph faster.

And I know how you feel about the out-and-back runs. Gah!!!!

But I prefer having the little extra to run before the finish - it makes sure you have nothing left afterwards. Usually I get passed on the run quite easily, but w/ 1km to go, I kick it up... send the message to the competitor that I'm not going down easily, and I try to break them. I'm not saying this is a good strategy for you, but it's fun nonetheless.

So have a good week, and get that recovery session soon!

Ciao

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMite Triathlon Rss Feed