Bridgeton exchange club
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 09m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34 F
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Got up REALLY early at around 2:45am, ate, drank coffee, loaded up my bike, waited for Fred, and we were off. I had to be there at about 5:45 since I wasn't registered. It's a good thing we got there as early as we could because the people that were registering us in had aboslutely no idea what the f*** they were doing. I started out with #570, body marked and all, and then was changed to #70. We had to walk about 15 minutes to the start with all of our stuff.
Event warmup:

The walk to the start with all of my stuff was a little bit of a warm-up. I did also jump into the water and just swam a few strokes. This seemed to calm me down a little. I may have to always do this.
Swim
  • 36m 43s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 14s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ignoring the time, this was the most positive part of the race for me. I wasn't lightening fast at all, but I swam over 3/4 of it freestyle which is a HUGE improvement over any other triathlon I've done so far. I swam out with everyone freestyle, freaked out only for a minute around the first bouy and whipped out backstroke for a very short time. Then I thought to myself..."Carrie, there is no one around you. Turn over and swim freestyle." So I did and I was comfortable and relaxed. Also, towards the end I even picked it up a little and passed a few people. I was still in the bottom of the swim, but it's an overall improvement.
What would you do differently?:

I would do nothing differently; however, next time, of course, I have to do better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

I don't know what happened in T1. Bob said he was yelling at me to hustle but I thought I was. I was fighting a cramp during the swim and I really felt it as I was getting out of the water.

Hustle more, I guess.
Bike
  • 1h 24m 57s
  • 24 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I could have pushed it a little harder but this cramp was bothering me still. Also, my hamstring was aching on the bike. It never aches on the bike :-( I drank and took gels as I intended to practice for Timberman

Nothing really. If I didn't have cramp issues or my hammy wasn't acting up I would have liked to have gone a little harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

For some reason you have to run around transition for a while before you get to the mats for the run. Why? I have no idea.

Listen to the pre-race announcement on where the run out is ;-)
Run
  • 1h 02m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 08s  min/mile

There isn't much I could have done differently here under the circumstances. My legs felt good coming off of the bike, so I planned that well. I couldn't do anything about my hamstring or the cramp so I'm glad I didn't stop after the first loop :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down was the 15 minutes back to the car. Ate some pasta, bananna, bagel, and home we went

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My hamstring and these cramps. That's two races in a row. I'm really chalking it up to my diet. It can't be dehydration because I drank a ton the day before and drank enough during the race. I've been eating slightly crappy for the last 2-3 weeks. I'll work on it so it doesn't happen in NH.

Event comments:

This was a nice and challenging race. It was a little iffy during registration but once registered everything went smoothly.

Last updated: 2008-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:43 | 1640 yards | 02m 14s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 56/
Performance: Good
Suit: None allowed
Course: This was a 2 loop course. I guess it was a good thing I had absolutely no idea what this course was like or I would not have chosen to do it. I don't really like the idea of doing 2 loops; however, it wasn't that bad.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:12
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:24:57 | 24 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Overall: 46/
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind
Course: This course felt a lot hillier than it was. It could have been the wind. At times the road surface sucked, too.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:02:59 | 06.21 miles | 10m 08s  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: this course was difficult today. A lot of it was in the sun with no cover and some of it was on grass. The grass portion of the run bothered me far more than the heat. It made me lift up my feet a little more than I'm used to and I believe that is what caused my hamstring to just HURT. It was only aching before mile 2 of the run. It just so happens that you started running on grass at mile 2. There were a good amount of hills on the run, too. It was good practice for T-Man. I didn't do so hot on the run, at all, but the good thing is that despite my hamstring hurting and my stomach having cramps I kept running - although very slow, I kept running.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 6:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Sunset lake Triathlon

2008-07-21 6:03 AM
in reply to: #1544789

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: RE: Sunset lake Triathlon
I believe this race was 25 miles on the bike.
2008-07-21 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1544789

Nice job! I did the Olympic distance of this race too. It was a tough day out there...started in an 85 degree lake that was loaded with a duck crap, to a very windy bike and WAY HOT on the run.
2008-07-21 6:56 AM
in reply to: #1544828

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
That all sounds pretty accurate   I remember trying to avoid the duck poo on my way out of the water. Maybe that's why T1 was slow for me
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sunset lake Triathlon Rss Feed