Chelan Multisport Group
80'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 11m 50s
Overall Rank = 6/255
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/23
Pre-race routine:

Did my usual routine of cereal, fruit, and coffee. But this time it was done in a camper in an RV park. Woke up and saw the wind was blowing pretty steady and thought "Oh man there's gonna be some serious chop in the water today". I've never swam in a lake this big so when I saw it was a more than chop and pretty much waves I got a little intimidated, but I calmed down quite a bit after getting in and swimming a bit.
Event warmup:

Got in the water and swam a couple of hundred meters but that's it. I'm starting to think in any event longer than a sprint that I do best with just a short swim warmup.
Swim
  • 27m 43s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 51s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best swim in a race I've ever had! This is my second season of multisport and my eighth triathlon and I'm finally starting to figure out the swim. The whole race was a bit chaotic. Got kicked in the ribs by a breast stroker so on my next pull my hand somehow found his shoulder and pulled right over him. Got onto a set of feet that was kicking vigorously (super clear water makes it easy to follow) and just stayed on them the whole way back. Swimming into the shore I could really feel the waves/wind pushing me back in. I'm still by no means a fast swimmer, but I really love to swim and can see myself pulling big chunks of time off this in the next few years.
What would you do differently?:

At this point in my racing career not a thing. I will get faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Pretty uneventful. Just a straightforward T1.

Move a little quicker
Bike
  • 1h 01m 9s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 24.33 mile/hr
Comments:

Went into the bike thinking the whole time about having a smart race. I gave myself a wattage ceiling and a target average wattage. I told myself not to go over that predetermined wattage and every time I did I would back off a little. This worked cuz I tend to push the hills a little bit harder than I probably should. I know that if I didn't have my running shoe problems that riding this way would have got me under 40 minutes for the 10k. But more on that later. Drank a whole bottle of diluted Infinit (145 calories) and a 100 calorie/caffeinated gel, chased that with straight water from the aid station.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Got outta my pedals coming into T2. Ran through transition and the grass was sloppy wet. Slid my foot into my shoe and pushed my insole all the way to the front. Pulled my foot out and did it again. Said forget just run with it. That didn't last long.

Get my shoe right the first time.
Run
  • 41m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Like I previously mentioned my insole slid all the way forward in my shoe. It took me two stops and over a minute to get it on right. I'm pretty confident that had this not happened I would have went under 40 minutes for my 10k. And in doing so would have won my age group. It's ok though because I'm still happy with my performance and at least I know for myself what I can do.

Get my shoe on right the first time, but other than that nothing. I ran to my ability.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water and a bagel with peanut butter. Sat down and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I feel like I performed to my ability in all three disciplines. It was a good effort physically and mentally.

Event comments:

I honestly feel like this was to date the best performance in a triathlon that I've had. I really needed it after Lake Stevens. Now I feel pretty good at about my prospects for 5430 Long Course in a couple of weeks. After that it's all about Ironman Arizona. We'll be headed back to Colorado in a few days.

Last updated: 2008-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:43 | 1500 meters | 01m 51s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/23
Overall: 0/255
Performance: Good
Avg HR 150
Suit: DeSoto Speed 2 piece
Course: 1500 meter swim is a clockwise rectangular course westerly from Lakeside Park. Enter the water at the beach on the western side of the park, swim west along the shore and then back around the boat docks to the east side of the park
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:01:09 | 24.8 miles | 24.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 1/255
Avg HR 163
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: The bike goes west along the lake on HWY 97A to S. Lakeshore Drive. The turn around is at 12.4 miles. The course is mainly flat with some moderate hills. Aid stations will be at the turnaround. Bike returns to Lakeside Park
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:06 | 06.21 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/23
Overall: 0/255
Avg HR 171
Course: The run is as an out and back course west on S. Lakeshore Drive. Starts and finishes at Lakeside Park. Aid stations will be every 1.5 miles.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-21 10:28 AM

User image

Colorado Springs
Subject: Chelan Man Multisport weekend

2008-07-21 6:39 PM
in reply to: #1545406

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Subject: RE: Chelan Man Multisport weekend
Awesome race. What a great time! Told you that Tri-the-creek would become meaningless... You're on track buddy.
2008-07-22 7:55 AM

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
2008-07-22 10:08 AM

User image

Tacoma, Washington
Nice bike split! I think I saw you coming back into town when I was making the turn going out on the run. I loved the race too (although I gave 10 minutes to you on the bike and 15 on the run so I trust that my improvements next year will be greater than YOURS!!!!) and I will be back next year.
2008-07-22 10:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pacific NW
You had a killer race!  Way to go!  Your bike and run splits make my jaw drop!  I did the half ironman that day, and the water was definitely chunky.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chelan Man Multisport weekend Rss Feed