General Discussion Race Reports! » 8th Annual Huntington Sprint Tri / Dua Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

8th Annual Huntington Sprint Tri / Dua - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bay Village, Ohio
United States
NCN Racing
73F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 23m 57s
Overall Rank = 147/240
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/16
Event warmup:

5 minute jog before heading to the water. Swam out and back about 50m.
Swim
  • 11m 40s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was much easier than I thought it would be. Felt really fast. Navigation wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Pretty straight forward.
What would you do differently?:

I would be more aggressive next time. Being my first race and first group OWS, I was more concerned about feet/arms/sighting than I really needed to be. I definitely could have gone faster. I was disappointed when I saw my split at first but then I learned that the swim time included the not-so-short run up to the transition area (felt like a good 300-400m of running from the beach and up a hill). So I'm thinking my actual swim time was more like 10 min.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

Pretty happy with T1. Easily found my bike, quickly dried my feet and got socks and shoes on. Helmet, sunglasses, and jogged out to mounting area.

Not much. Wasn't really quick on the mount, just don't have that finesse yet.
Bike
  • 41m 23s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.40 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good most of the ride. Had a little bit of a hard time deciding if my pace was just right, too slow, or too hard at times. Was helpful to have others to pace off of.

One thing I noticed is that the people that passed me NEVER stopped spinning. I would follow them for a few miles and occassionally I would give my legs a few seconds of rest...these folks NEVER stopped spinning. Also think I started in a gear a little too tough. Should have gone a little easier and spun at a higher cadence. I switched to that about half way through and it helped.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

I felt like I flew through T2...but I'm guessing on the time because they didn't take a T2 split. They just lumped it into run time. Grrrr. But I would be stunned if I spent more than 1 minute in transition. I biked in my running shoes so there was no need for a shoe change. Just took off my helmet put on my visor and took off.

Take a puff of albuterol. I had some trouble the first mile of the run with my breathing. Nothing really bad but I should have used my inhaler before I started the run.
Run
  • 29m 23s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a bit of a struggle and I knew it would be. I forced myself to just set a comfy pace and stick with it. No need to push myself over the edge and be miserable at the finish. My lack of run training really showed here; would love to know how I could have done had I not been training injured for three months.

I didn't realize it until I started the run, but I should have drank more during the bike. It's much easier to stomach fluids on the bike than it is to try to run with it sloshing around in your stomach. I needed more water at the stops than I should have and it made me cramp up a little. Not enough to require stopping, but I will definitely hydrate better on the bike next time.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank 2 bottles of water, walked around some. It was HOT.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The shin problem kept me from running the way I would have liked. Overall I think my times aren't reflective of how fast I was capable of going; I was doing more observing and learning and not really pushing myself to perform. I am happy with that approach though because I DID learn a lot and still felt human at the finish line!

Event comments:

I would definitely do this race again because it was a fast, flat course. The folks putting it on did an OK job; nothing really stellar to report but nothing really awful either. Not having a measuring stick of comparison, I would say the event was run fine.

Last updated: 2008-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:40 | 440 yards | 02m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/240
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri top/bottoms
Course: U-shaped out over and back.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:23 | 12 miles | 17.40 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Very flat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:23 | 03.11 miles | 09m 27s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat, paved course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-22 8:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Subject: 8th Annual Huntington Sprint Tri / Dua

2008-07-29 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1548254

User image

Veteran
Brentwood, Tennessee
Subject: RE: 8th Annual Huntington Sprint Tri / Dua
Yayyyy you. That is a great race report! I am so glad you held yourself back so that you could take it all in and learn. I told you you would be well ahead of a ton of people.

Yeah on the drinking on the bike, very easy thing to forget to do, but the best place to do it if you can. I have an aero bottle from Profile design, it is the only way I can remember to drink. Before I got it, I NEVER drank on the bike and always dehydrated. They are like $15, well worth it once you get used to them. You sound like a pro already noticing the shortcomings of some timing systems (I hate when the swim timer is 400 yards from the shore, put it on the shore and lump that time into the darn transition!!!!) and no T2 timer, errrr to that is right!!!

Well I am glad you had a great time. It seems like you, dare I say, actually enjoyed the bike. Felt like you could have gone harder? 17.4MPH is pretty darn good for your first race. You will be doing 20 by next year. You beat 93 people and dare I point out... in your AG, 6 people may have finished ahead of you, but you beat 9! I see top 3's in your future.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 8th Annual Huntington Sprint Tri / Dua Rss Feed