Tricat Sports
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 50s
Overall Rank = 72/179
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 after fitfull night of sleep (due to trains running near my parents cottage on the Juniata river). Dressed and prepared cytomax and water bottles for race. Ate a peanut butter Powerbar and drank some O.J.. Stopped at Sheetz on Rt. 11/15 for coffee and another backup protein bar. Arrived at race site EARLY and was FIRST in transition area. (ok at least I came in first in something) Had the pick of the litter, so to speak. Day was looking good and the weather was cool by the river. (I'll post the only two pictures I have of the day...one of my lone bike and one of the bridges over the river as the sun is coming up)
Event warmup:

Not much. Talked to some fellow BT'ers and walked around. Had to walk to swim area so that was about the extent of the warm-up. Made two trips to the loo...
Swim
  • 21m 43s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Sighted bouys and had to swim under two bridges. Best swim of my short 3 race Tri career. Freestyle the whole way and no stops or sidestroke. Felt like I could swim for miles. Good pace, bi-lateral breathing and very comfortable. Water was warm and not too shallow. Used a tip I heard about singing a song to yourself to stay focused and calm. It worked. (of course my last two tri's were in 55 degree water (#1) and in the packed Schyullkill river (#2).
What would you do differently?:

I didn't sight properly on last buoy before exit and I pulled myself too far right 200-300m out. I feel like I penalized myself probably 1-2 minutes as I had to go hard left to get back on course. My fault. I know I can go faster next year. Have to get sub-18 minute swim here in 2009!
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Bike transition was ok except for the fact that my bike had been knocked down during the period of time I was in the water. The bike rack wasn't too stable so I imagine it was tossed when others moved through transition. I was into my bike shoes and grabbing bike when I realized my helmet had been knocked to the ground. I took a second to find it and my glasses and went out jogging w/ the bike.

Not much. I was set up well and couldn't control the bike getting knocked down. That along with my helmet and glasses on the ground cost me 5-10 seconds I suspect. I ranked the transition times from the posted results and I was a very solid 17th of 179! Not bad so I'm happy.
Bike
  • 41m 25s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 21.01 mile/hr
Comments:

Here's where I need the work. Bike times are strong with this course and esp in my age group. I was 13 of 17 and avg 21 MPH..top guys average 23-25 MPH... 4-5 minute difference between my time and top of my age group. Best time in race was 32 minutes so I need to get speed up to 23-24 MPH next year. Hit my target goal of exceeding 20 MPH. Very happy with that. Overall ranking in race was better than swim and I know I can do better there. Felt good on aerobars which helped with speed.

Gear up differently. I got across the walking bridge and should have put it into higher gear sooner. I started to low and cadence was too high. Otherwise just spend more time on the bike training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Wow! I smoked a one minute transition. Planning works! 48th fastest transition time...but there were quite a few of us. Best time was 22 seconds which means they must have either been superhuman or didn't wear bike shoes or both. Not sure. 22 seconds is barely enough time to run in and out...

Nothing. Totally happy with sub-1 minute.
Run
  • 21m 18s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt a little burned coming off bike but that's more a training issue. After first 5-7 minutes I got into a nice pace with another runner. Liked passing all the young (under 30) bucks and does on the course. Made me feel good. I didn't pass too many but I did ask this one 27 YO if he was having fun and he gasped 'oh yeah, a blast'..I think that was sarcasm.....Only a little water on course but that wasn't an issue. Finished with a nice kick at the end with another runner who I caught. Time was faster than I expected but I always think I'm going slow. Best run all year! New Brooks running shoes paid off. No fatigue and could feel the energy in my legs. AWESOME!

Not too much. Train more bike/run transition and run more outside for training vs. treadmill.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Talked to another BT'er, grabbed a few oranges, half a bagel, water and banana and drove back to my parents cottage for a shower and quick nap before driving back to Glen Mils.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike/Run training. Need more road time with bike (duh!) and more road time on the feet. Next tri in one month so goal is to improve again!

Event comments:

Overall good, run race. Can't wait to go again next year! Volunteers were helpful and the course was well marked and organized. Not sure why we can't get in a full 5k but that's a minor complaint. Best race t-shirt ever...a technical T, not some lame cotton tee...NICE TOUCH! Love it.

Last updated: 2008-06-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:43 | 1056 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/17
Overall: 93/179
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-Suit
Course: Straight line swim with the current from North end of City Island to South end.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:41:25 | 14.5 miles | 21.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 69/179
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Flat. Down river to Fort Hunter and turn around. Slow going over walking bridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:18 | 02.8 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/17
Overall: 60/179
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops around City Island (snooze) with one little hill to climb.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes