General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Repeated bike flats Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-07-25 12:48 PM

User image

Veteran
San Jose, CA
Subject: Repeated bike flats

I've been having repeated bike flats starting with my (metric) century in April. Had two flats during the event and then by the time I reached home, another one. Then hadn't used the bike for a while till yesterday . To fix the existing flat, inspected the tire thoroughly and the tube but there was no hole so i replaced it and the air held up for a 2-3 hours. Thinking I had it fixed , went out for a short test ride in the 'noon when after 20 mins or so , I had a flat ! This time there was an actual hole

Now , am not sure what the problem is but all that really changed was that I changed out my tire before my event but it was a standard tire , nothing fancy. Is it possible that the tire has become weak or is it something else that may be causing this problem ?

Any ideas as this is really affecting my enthusiasm to get on the bike

2008-07-25 12:54 PM
in reply to: #1559350

User image

Subject: RE: Repeated bike flats

If there is a flat, 99% likely there's a ole, you just didn't see it.  If I had a tube that went flat, I wouldn't put it on even if it looked like it was holding air (I'd perhaps pump it to 120 and leave it overnight, then I would use it if it held up)  Weak tires don't cause flats unless there are holes in them

Did you save the tubes?  Inflate them all, find the holes.  If they line up or are near eachother, you've found the problem.  If they are on the non valve side, it's rim tape, valve side, something in your tire

I'd say rim tape is #1 culprit (see Yanti??    What kind do you have?  plastic?  is it fully over all the spoke holes and intact?  Replace it with velox

Make sure no spokes are protruding through the spoke hole

Double check the inside of the tire to make sure no staples thorns etc.

2008-07-25 1:26 PM

User image

Expert

x2 what Chris said, plus if you feel up to it and none of his suggested troubleshooting shows anything wrong, I am now a firm believer in Armadillo (by Specialized) tires.  Your LBS should sell them for around $40 each.  I had three flats in two weeks, got disgusted, and got the Dillos.  No flats since, and I am a happy camper. 

2008-07-25 1:50 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

Small tears in the tire could do it.  You won't easily see them when the tube is defalted but once you pump it up the tube could pop out a little and that will cause it to pop soon after.  I always try to look at my tire after replacing a tube and pumping it up. 

You changed your tire.  Did you get the bead set correctly?

You'll also need to check your rim tape.  It does wear out after a bit. 

2008-07-25 1:53 PM

User image

Master
New York
I had a run like that, and it was due to pinch flats. I wasn't properly seating the bead of the tire...

When you flat, is it audible?
2008-07-26 10:41 AM

New user
Pekin
My problem was pinch flats when riding to and from work.  lots of somewhat bad pavement, and when I hit a bump hard I would get a pinch flat.  I'm a bigger guy so my back tire was naturally riding a bit low at 90psi with my 238 lb frame on the seat.  I talked to local bike experts they took my psi up to 110, and I have not had a flat since. 

2008-07-26 11:01 AM

User image

Longmont, Colorado
I had the same issue when I got my Michelin Pro 3 tires. I thought it had to be something in the tire. Went through 3 tubes before it just stopped. I'm thinking something was poking it from the rim side of things. I could pump up the tube and it would stay inflated for hours eventually loosing pressure overnight or during a ride. I finally filled up all the tubes that lost pressure and put them under water. Found my leak that way, all in the same area. Haven't had a problem since but it was defiantly something on the rim that must have fallen out the last time I changed the tube.

Try the water, and clean out the rim and inside of the tire.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Repeated bike flats Rss Feed