Seattle, Washington
United States
Marsha Rivkin Center for Ovarian Cancer Research
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 32/608
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/62
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6 AM, dressed, had a banana, and drove to Seattle. It was "misty" on the Eastside, but drier in Seattle. It was 6:50 AM, race time was 8:20, so I picked up my race packet and walked to a nearby Starbucks. I pinned my number on my shirt and had a coffee and petite scone.
Event warmup:

I warmed up by running a few blocks around Swedish Hospital.
Run
  • 25m 45s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I wanted to push myself for time. I ended up going out to fast and did not run negative splits. First mile was 8:01, too fast. Second mile 8:35, third mile + .1 was 9:10. The first mile has no hills, the second mile had a small hill, and the third mile has 2 hills.
What would you do differently?:

Strive for negative splits
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a few blocks, stretched, had a popsicle, banana, and water

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of endurance

Event comments:

I have done all but two of the Swedish SummeRuns. I have seen this race grow from a small race to a huge race. There were over 100 teams registered, I don't know how many individuals registered. Dr. Saul Rivkin and his daughters started this race to benefit the Swedish Cancer Center for Ovarian Cancer Research in memory of his wife. My sister Nanette loved her mother-in-law Vonnie, and Vonnie, who raised two sons, loved my sister, her first "daughter"! Vonnie was stricken with ovarian cancer. She discovered a lump in her abdomen while doing sit ups. It was in its very advanced stages. She came to the Swedish Cancer Center, however the treatments available at that time could not slow the progress of her cancer. I have run this race in Vonnie's memory for a number of years. Nanette always sent well wishes and donations and ran with me in spirit, as she continues to do today. I picture her and Vonnie together smiling and watching after Davis and Calley together.

Last updated: 2008-07-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:45 | 03.11 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/62
Overall: 0/608
Performance: Good
Course: mostly flat, a few short climbs residential streets
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3