Gazelle Sports Grand Rapids
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 84/224
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/34
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00, bowl of cereal, on last checklist review, coffee, smoothie, & out the door. Got a decent spot on the rack, but not the end one.
Event warmup:

Jogged a half mile or so. Stretched out some. Swam a few hundred yards. This is a bit more of a warm-up than I've done before, and it turned out well.
Swim
  • 14m 38s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well. I didn't overdo it at the start and got into a good rhythm. Someone was drafting off of me on the way out and constantly touching my toes. Coming back, I started to push the pace some and got going really well with one interruption, when a guy criss-crossed in front of me. I really concentrated on form the whole way.
What would you do differently?:

I'm going to have to learn how to swim harder, the way I bike hard and run hard.
Transition 1
  • 02m 55s
Comments:

Had trouble getting my shirt onto my wet body.

Not roll up my shirt, as the rolls got stuck unevenly.
Bike
  • 50m 25s
  • 18 miles
  • 21.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm happy with the ride, although I could have squeezed a bit more out of my legs? The women started first and my wave was the third men's wave, so it was kind of crazy racing with the people from my wave while constantly overtaking the slower people from other waves. A group of guys would come by and I'd get boxed in for a while. There weren't any pacelines, but it seemed like you were always coming up on someone. I had to go into the gravel when a pick-up truck with a trailer went wide at an intersection and then had to slow down behind it later, only to pass it with the group of guys I had just shaken off my tail.

Bring my effort a little closer to my slobber-flying time trial style.
Transition 2
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

This went well.

Nothing.
Run
  • 37m 6s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 08m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting was better than last time, but still a bit slower than I'd like. Not as many people passed me, and I passed more. The second half felt much better and the last 1.5 miles were quite a bit faster than the first few.

I always feel like I'm going as fast as I can at a given moment, but, especially looking at my HR data, I need to experience a whole new level of pain and discomfort in order to pick up the pace. At the sprint in a couple of weeks, I've got to be mentally tough enough to push a good pace through the 5k, as there won't be enough time to wait until I feel ready.
Post race
Warm down:

Eating cookies, drinking Gatorade and Endurox, walking around, taking a quick dip in the lake, some stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Some traffic on the bike leg slowed me down a few times. On the run, I need to learn to push through the discomfort, especially when my HRM says I have more gas to give.

Event comments:

This race used to be called the Great Lakes Triathlon Championships and is under Gazelle Sports for the first time this year as Tri Del Sol. Gazelle is a great local sports store that did a wonderful job on this race. I love the rolling hills on the bike course, and they're okay on the run. If you live near here, this is a great race I highly recommend.

Last updated: 2008-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:38 | 880 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/34
Overall: 128/224
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: It went straight out, almost across the lake, across about 50 yards, and straight back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:50:25 | 18 miles | 21.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/34
Overall: 45/224
Performance: Good
169 Ave, 179 Max.
Wind: Little
Course: It was out and back with rolling hills the whole way and one that was a bit of a climb right before the turnaround. It was around the lake, through farms and countryside with a turnaround at Wayland H.S.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:06 | 04.5 miles | 08m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/34
Overall: 137/224
Performance: Average
173 Ave, 182 Max.
Course: Rolling hills around the same lake. Not much flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-07-27 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Tri Del Sol

2008-07-28 9:12 AM
in reply to: #1562769

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: RE: Tri Del Sol
Nice race and good report - the cookies were good!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Del Sol Rss Feed