FIRM
80?F / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 55s
Overall Rank = 227/2468
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 51/398
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 and packed lunches, drove in torrential rain and lightening to race site (about 1 hour away). Sat in parking lot and wondered if they would delay the race due to lightening.....turns out it stopped just as I was making my way to transition - sweet! :-) Had toast with PB, banana and a Pepsi One on the drive there, my race ritual.
Event warmup:

Someone else mentioned lack of body marking personnel, they weren't kidding. Two people, hundreds of women waiting, less than 15 minutes to the scheduled start. Wasn't able to get into the water by 7 to warm up, so I went directly to the start as I was in Wave 2. They then delayed the race because medical personnel had another call outside of the race and we had to wait until they came back. I ran down to the water and got a few minutes of swimming in, and then stood and shivered for an hour. We got started right around 8:00 am.
Swim
  • 10m 45s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

I positioned myself closer to the front after last year's frustration of being in the middle of a pack of terrified, new swimmers. It worked out well, and I found myself close to people at my own level. What I was really happy about was my sighting, I usually suck but I paid more attention today. I also usually don't go all out on the swim, I'm still timid and I usually hold back to much. This time I pushed myself to see how I could do....ended up 5 minutes faster than last year. Yay!
What would you do differently?:

Maybe go a little closer to the front, but then I might be in the way of faster swimmers, so maybe not...
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

I stopped to give a hug to my little guy - it slowed me down a little but he's worth it! I also learned to take flip flops to this race - last year I nursed bruised feet for a few days because of all the rocks and the longer run to transition. (I have wimpy feet).

Not much
Bike
  • 43m 16s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I took corners really slow as the roads were still wet, I was scared of crashing. I've never ridden in wet conditions before and I quickly realized that your brakes don't respond all that well (this was on that bid downhill). It probably affected my time quite a bit, but at least I'm injury-free. As it was, there was no one around, I rode by myself quite a bit, passed maybe 4 people, was passed only once (that made my day).

Ride more, lots more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Comments:

Tried to go fast, but was still winded from the bike...

Go faster
Run
  • 23m 37s
  • 2.8 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Was hot because I forgot my water bottle at transition for the bike, so I didn't drink enough. Was pretty thirsty, but it's a short run so I hardened up :)

Paced myself behind a faster runner and then passed her about 1/4 way from finish line. Paid for that as I was passed mere seconds before the finish line by someone else. I take pleasure in knowing I ruined her photo.......just kidding. I actually congratulated her on an awesome kick and kicked my own rear for not paying attention....she was in my age group! I could've been in the top 50 if I had paid attention.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Hugged my boy! Let him take my medal (the only one who's allowed to do this) and made my way to the watermellon....X2 on the green bananas, what were they thinking?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.....but given my current situation, there's not much I can do about that.

Event comments:

A good, solid, fun race for beginners, and challenging enough for some who do a few.

Last updated: 2008-04-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:45 | 880 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/398
Overall: 438/2468
Performance: Good
As someone else mentioned previously, this distance wasn't accurate. I never swim this fast. (I wonder if they purposely call it a half mile, and make it short because there are so many beginners at these Danskin races?).
Suit: no
Course: triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:40
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:43:16 | 12 miles | 16.64 mile/hr
Overall: 375/2468
Hilly course, one 3 part bigger hill and some rollers. Really pretty countryside.
Wind: Little
Course: That hill is a doozy, but a good test for a newer cyclist. I was happy about my time, but it's still a little slow (up 6 minutes from last year). I didn't have as much time to train as I wanted (family health issues) so I did the best I could with what I had in me.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:37 | 02.8 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Overall: 244/2468
They have the mileage on the results page as a 5k, but it was shorter than that.
Course: Out and back, a few smaller hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-07-28 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA
Subject: Danskin Webster Lake

2008-07-28 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1564129

User image

Extreme Veteran
Western MA
Subject: RE: Danskin Webster Lake

Forgot to mention that I saw a turtle during my warm up swim - it was a pretty neat sight. I usually don't like to spot any critters in the water, but he was cute and swam with me for a minute or two.

Here's a pic of my best support guy:

(Danskin 08 finish.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Danskin 08 finish.JPG (42KB - 27 downloads)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin Webster Lake Rss Feed