General Discussion Race Reports! » 6th Annual St. Mary's Medical Center Tristate Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

6th Annual St. Mary's Medical Center Tristate Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lavalette, West Virginia
United States
Healthy Huntington
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 43s
Overall Rank = 11/19
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 445. All I had in the house to eat was a cupcake. Made some coffee and left at 515. Drove to the race site, about one hour away.
Event warmup:

You have to park about 1.5 miles away and walk your stuff down a trail or ride it down the road. So, riding my bike 1.5 miles trying to balance a huge duffel bag was enough of a warm-up for me.
Swim
  • 23m 39s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought it was a very enjoyable swim. The entrance/exit is on a sandy beach and the water was a good temp.
What would you do differently?:

I just need to continue working on my form and fitness. Getting fast at swimming is proving to be a very slow process! However, thinking back to my first open water swims in 2006, I have improved by leaps and bounds.
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

I find it amusing that this form assumes that most people have their shoes clipped into the pedals in advance and do the running mount. Ha!

It was only my second race with a wetsuit. Still getting the hang of it.
Bike
  • 1h 27m 26s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.05 mile/hr
Comments:

I had no idea how many were in my age group, but I was behind a woman on some rolling hills and knew she was in it from her leg markings, so some hidden competitive streak welled up and I decided to ride past and drop her. This was a great move in the end because she was a faster runner than me, but I had put just enough time between us on the bike to win by 15 seconds!

This is a weird race because it's non-USAT and draft-legal. That really changes the dynamics! I didn't really have anyone to draft with, but others did.

Stay in the aero bars more. Buy a new bike. Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I love Sport Beans.
Run
  • 29m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I was doing OK on the run, but not pushing it too hard. I'm a lazy runner. But I thought I heard a woman's voice behind me at a water stop and became convinced it was the woman I passed on the bike ride (paranoia?). I didn't look, but started to run faster. I got up the last hideous hill then really tried to run fast. And, lo and behold, I only won my age group by 15 seconds, so it was a good strategy. A better one would be to try to improve my run speed in general.

Run faster. Train more.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, water, free hotdog.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still getting the pacing thing down. I was also sick with a chest cold all week and didn't work out for about 9 days. So considering, I did pretty well.

Event comments:

Very nice people and race. The course is challenging, but enjoyable. Having to transport your stuff a mile from the parking lot is slightly lame. But this is a good race for all levels. They also have a duathlon. And they gave us nice wicking T-shirts. Oh, by the way, there were 85 people in this race, but the overall results were presents separately for men and women. So my overall rankings are only for all females.

Last updated: 2008-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:39 | 880 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 11/19
Performance: Average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course: Out and back course in a lake. The water was a nice temperature. Not too many wetsuits worn, but I was glad to have mine. The sun was right in my eyes, so I couldn't see the buoys the race director was referring to, but once you got out there, the course became obvious.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance:
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:27:26 | 24.85 miles | 17.05 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 11/19
Wind: Some
Course: Mostly country back roads. Rolling hills, with a few bigger hills. Winds varied. Overall a nice, but challenging ride. Road surfaces varied as well, but mostly smooth.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:11 | 03.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 14/19
Course: Some muddy trail running (less than a mile) then paved road. One killer hill near the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 1:01 PM

Subject: 6th Annual St. Mary's Medical Center Tristate Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 6th Annual St. Mary's Medical Center Tristate Triathlon Rss Feed