United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 50m 2s
Overall Rank = 94/639
Age Group = 30-39 men
Age Group Rank = 13/59
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am and took a hot shower. Had a powder drink and headed out to the valley to meet up w/ some carpoolers from a local tri-club. Grabbed a cup of coffee and muffin and settled in for the drive to Sandpoint.

Event warmup:

Race started an hour late. So, once we actually got in the water, there was plenty of time to warm up. Swam about 2-300 yds total before the race and felt good.
Swim
  • 50m 2s
  • 3098 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

There were over 700 swimmers in the water for a deep water start. Apparently there were nearly 100 that DNF'd or DNS. I was able to start on the left side closest to the bridge and got a good jump when the "gun" went off.
The first 1/4 mile or so, I kept my pace easy. The last couple races I've gone anaerobic at the start and then fight it for several hundred yards before settling in. This was just about right, by holding myself in check. It also helped to have a decent warm up.
I checked my watch at the 1/2 mile mark at saw I was under 13 minutes, so that was right on pace to break 50. At the 1 mile mark I was sub 28 minutes, so I'd slowed down some. Apparently in there somewhere I found out that there is a current running. I didn't notice it other than my time slowed.
I have a problem w/ my right hand going numb after about a mile and today was no different, but I tried hard to pick up the pace and hold it. I couldn't find anyone to draft off of. It felt like I was swimming almost alone most of the race. There were a few swimmers around, but I was either moving faster or they were, so the drafting was non-existent.
The last 1/3 of the race I felt good and just pushed it as hard as I was comfortable with and came out of the water in a group of about 5 guys and had to get in a line to have our # recorded.
I forgot to hit my watch when I came out of the water and finally stopped it at 50:17, so I didn't know whether I'd broke 50 until they started posting results. Ended up missing it by 2 seconds! Still happy w/ that, as this was a PR by nearly 7 minutes over last year and the water was quite a bit choppier than the year before.
Finished in the top 100, but will have to wait for the official results to know exactly where.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not cruise so much in the middle of the race. I think I could push a bit harder throughout. Other than that I'm pleased.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my bag and waded back out into the water to watch Stan finish. Ate some ice cream, blueberries and drank juice and coffee.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need to continue to work on better form and put more yardage in at the pool.

Event comments:

This is a great swim, but very poorly organized. The RD is quite pleased w/ himself and talks for about 45 minutes even when the race is running way behind schedule. They had 3! porta potty's at the check-in area for 700 + swimmers and spectators! Poor planning!! Also, the RD tried to talk for 45 min. on a, get this........megaphone......right next to the hwy w/ about 1000 people standing there. What a joke! Couldn't hear a word.

Last updated: 2008-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:02 | 3098 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/59
Overall: 94/639
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro2
Course: Straight point to point swim alongside the Hwy 95 bridge that crosses Lake Pend Oreille.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Subject: The Long Bridge Swim

2008-08-04 10:38 PM
in reply to: #1581348

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: The Long Bridge Swim
Wow good thing the RD doesn't [hopefully] ever check BT! Or maybe we hope he does? Anyway, great swim! Next year you can really nail down this race when you shoot out with the fasties and use them for drafting. Way to go on a HUGE 7 minute PR!
2008-08-05 9:53 AM
in reply to: #1581348

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: The Long Bridge Swim
GREAT swim!  I can't believe you missed your goal by 2 seconds, but with your speed I bet you were already throwing up quite a wake!  A 7 minute PR is HUGE!!!   Nice job!  (And glad the ride worked out!)

Edited by c_cic 2008-08-05 9:54 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Long Bridge Swim Rss Feed