General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint RELAY Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint RELAY - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cleveland, Ohio
United States
Pacific Sports Event Management
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 1/3
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 am. BRUTAL. Ate toast and strawberries with some gatorade.
Event warmup:

Really couldn't warm up very much; couldn't get in the water before the race start.
Swim
  • 06m 15s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 05s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good race. Decent size wave. Treading water for 5 minutes was a bit much. In one way, a substitue warm up. In another way, kinda made me nervy just treading and waiting. The sea weed factor was nasty!

I definitely swam more aggressively this time and felt more comfortable with sighting. Still pull breast stroke on a few occasions but not much. Got to watch the sun rising over the lake while we swam!

Something wierd: I started to get dizzy on the first leg. Like, kind of disoriented. Not sure if that's just an OWS thing you have to get over/get used to, but I just ignored it and plowed forward and was fine.
What would you do differently?:

I think I let myself get a little of course at least twice. Nothing horrible, but I think if I would have sighted more frequently I would have save a little more time and energy. I really think I need more OWS practice, this taught me that you can easily get off course and add distance (and time!) to your swim.

I will also START AT THE FRONT next time! I had to swim over/around a LOT of people, I swear that adds time. Being new, I have started in the middle b/c I wasn't sure I was fast enough for the front. But now I've seen what a PITA it is to be behind slower folks.
Transition 1
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I'll include this in the RR since I had to do it! They made us walk up the dock and plank, which I didn't like. But then I ran all the way through transition to my teammates bike. Took of the time chip, he put it on and was off.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 8 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 1.5 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Just caught my breath, drank some and walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really.

Event comments:

I am on the fence about this race. Some things I liked, others not. They had some music going and the starter was getting people pumped up. They were also spot-on time with the wave starts. But A LOT of the volunteers couldn't answer simple questions (or at least direct you to someon who could), which was a bit irritating. I also had to help pick up FOUR bike racks that were knocked over, and it was not due to athletes being too rough. I've seen toothpicks that were more stable than these racks. Parking was also a pain; so many roads were blocked off so early that it was hard to know where to go.

I was considering doing this race next year for a first Oly (because my employer will foot the bill), but now I'm not sure. The relay was fun though; hopefully I can talk my teammates into a longer distance next year!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:15 | 300 yards | 02m 05s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/3
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri top/swim bottoms
Course: Out and back, straight line.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 08 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 01.5 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-04 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Subject: Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint RELAY

2008-08-05 3:55 AM
in reply to: #1581560

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint RELAY
Good job on your relay -- and you're right about the seaweed factor, it was a bit gross there at the starting buoy.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Sprint RELAY Rss Feed