General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nutrition Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-09 6:51 AM

User image

athens, ga
Subject: nutrition
I was wondering if there were any goods books about tri training and nutrition programs. I am not lossing the weight that i wanted too and i think that i am eating wrong. I want to be able to eat healthy and not take away from my energy. Also i learned this morning when i ran a 5k race that a power bar an hour and a half before race time is not a good pre race meal. any suggestions an good pre race meals. i usually dont eat anything for road races but i think that for a tri i will need something. My race performance was less than stellar in my opinion (25 min). Thanks hope everyones training is going alright.
Freddy

2003-08-09 5:35 PM
in reply to: #412

User image

Central Louisiana
Subject: RE: nutrition
I don’t know of any good books that will meet everybody’s nutritional needs, but if you will go to www.hammergel.com , they have some free downloads that although they promote their products, have great information.

I would find a nutritionist that works with athletes and pay the money to have he or she develop a plan for you that will help you meet your goals. I would steer away from one that does not understand what you do as a triathlete. Once you develop a plan have the nutritionist work with you on your prerace nutrition. You will need to practice your prerace nutrition on days when you brick. This allows you to train your stomach to handle what you are going to do the day of the race. It also allow you to find out what doesn't work at a time other than race day.

I have been working on pre race for a year and I finally think I got it worked out at my last race. What I do doesn’t work for the 130lb male triathlete, it would probably make them just throw-up, but it works for me. I have talked to different triathletes and what they eat, when they eat it, and how much differs greatly.

This is an excerpt from one of my friend’s race reports from IMUSA a couple of weekends ago. I left in his race nutrition just because it might be of interest to you.

Up at 4:00 am for breakfast. The usual Oatmeal, Bagel, Banana, Coffee and Ultra Fuel. Out the door at 5:15

Nutrition:
Swim:
1 - GU (15 minutes before start)

Bike:
6 - 24oz bottles Carb Pro - 450 Calories Per Bottle - 1 per hour
6 - GU's - 1 per hour
5 - snack size PayDay bars
3 - half sandwiches PBJ

Run:
6 - 7oz flask of Carb Pro - 250 Calories per flask (1st 15 miles)
3 - GU's
2 - snack size PayDay bars
2 - Mom's recipe Oatmeal Pecan Cookies
sipped Gatorade, Cola, Water, Chicken Broth (from mile 15 on)
nibbled bananas, oranges, pretzels (entire run)

Post Race:
1 - Big Fat Hamburger (it's the only thing I've found that settles my
stomach)
1 - Dr Pepper
1 – shower

This guy has worked with nutritionist and has found what works for him. He told me it didn’t come easy for him, but he never gave up working on the right combination.

Bottom line, from what I can tell everybody is different and we have to have courage to do what works for us, even if it’s not what the guy beside us in transition is doing. Hope something that I have said makes sense or helps you!

Still Tri’n
Michael
2003-08-27 11:35 PM
in reply to: #412

denver co
wow, that much? i don't think i'm eating enough. i eat lots of 'live' foods (veggies and fruits) and complex carbs. how can i be sure i am eating enough/too much. any calculators/links you know of?
scott
2003-08-28 12:53 PM
in reply to: #569

User image

Central Louisiana
I don't have a formula for you, but if I run across something, I will let you know. I know that a lot of people run out of energy on the last of the bike or on the run because they don't eat properly. You will her the term that they “Bonked” It is not as likely to happen in a short sprint, but on a longer race, nutrition becomes a factor.

Still Tri'n
Michael
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » nutrition Rss Feed