General Discussion Race Reports! » Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cazenovia, New York
United States
CNY Triathlon Club
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 47m 37s
Overall Rank = 46/87
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Swim
  • 27m 5s
  • 1648 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim went well. I started all the way in the front on the left edge. I swam the first 50m going about 30 degrees too far to the left to avoid traffic, then focused on sighting the buoy. It was overcast, so I had a hard time determining where the buoys were until I was about halfway there... I spent alot of time relying on other people's sighting. Too much, to the point where on the 2nd lap I looked up and the group of 4-5 people I was with were headed off course by 30-40 yards... I corrected and beat them all to the turn. The long back of the triangle I chased the bubbles of the guy in front of me for about 400 yds - he was sighting pretty well and I was keeping pretty relaxed.

I went into this with the intention of taking it easy, which I accomplished pretty well! I felt good out of the water and headed into T1.
Transition 1
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

T1 was long and uphill. I had a semi-disaster because I forgot to set my socks out next to my cycling shoes. I had to be careful running in my cleats, but I didn't fall (I heard some others did)
What would you do differently?:

This took too long! I could have placed in my AG had I been quicker... could have dropped a minute easily...
Bike
  • 1h 22m 45s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Going into this race, my strategy was to conserve and hold on. I feel like I was undertrained and I had a weak taper to go in. I think this resulted in me being too conservative on the bike.

There was a timed hill climb, which I paid no attention to because it was only 1-2 miles into the 25 mile ride. The first lap was good and I approached the climbs cautiously and kept a good pace on the downhill. The turn up Chard for the 2nd lap was just plain evil, it took me about 10 minutes just to get up to the top in my granny gear. My legs felt pretty depleted.

At the top, we merged into the sprint traffic. Since I had just ridden the loop, I knew where I could safely push and where 1the big hills were. I attacked the downhill - I hit 44-45 mph both laps!

The uphills hurt, and I couldn't eat any of the nutrition that I had brought. But I kept hydrated and made it through ok.

I undid my shoe straps coming into T2. The ground was wet and I was warned that people were falling.
What would you do differently?:

This was a disappointing split - I should have ridden the course to familiarize myself with it. I have been doing a lot of slow miles on my commuter bike but I need to also do a lot of fast miles on my racing bike!
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Barefoot off the bike, jogged into T2, racked the bike, helmet off, bars out of jersey, glassed off, socks on, shoes on, out!
Run
  • 53m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

No socks on the bike meant my feet were numb with cold for the first mile or so. Jelly legs went away by mile 2 and then it was just pain. Reached the sprint turnaround and was tempted to take it, knowing that I was only 1/4 of the ay done with my run. Past the sprint turnaround it was only intermediates, and we were spread out. I passed 2-3 people and plenty passed me, some running so fast it was as if I was standing still. There were three, maybe four big long hills as far as you could see, to get the the top to be greeted with another hill and no turnaround in sight.

Finally the turnaround came into view, and I did a little jig-spin as I rounded the cone. Bringing it back was difficult, mostly downhill which was just pounding the crap out of my quads. I kept going and finally made it to the 5k turnaround. I picked it up a little and then had to slow down a little, repeating over the next mile until the finish came into view. I picked it up to a tempo pace with 1/3 mile to go, wondering where the finish line was.

The finish was a left turn down into the park, down a steep hill then across some grass... the turn and hill were perilous, and I almost lost it on my tired legs but somehow I managed to hold on. I had a great sprint to the finish as they announced my name on the loudspeakers and I was suprised to see several people I knew cheering me on (in addition to the ones I knew that were there).
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

This being my 2nd Oly ever, I was a bit more cautious than I was last year. I had dropped the ball with my taper training and didn't practice bricks like I did last year. I haven't been on my racing bike as much as I had wanted to.

It was as good as I could have hoped for given my training. I met my expectations and finished strong!

Event comments:

The course maps and information were incorrect. The signs at packet pickup and the website and the papers all had different start times. There was no map for the intermediate course and many were confused about the swim course. I heard of a few people who did the incorrect bike course length.

Last updated: 2008-08-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:05 | 1648 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 14/87
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: From the shore, swim out to a "triangle" and then two laps with the buoys on the right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:54
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:22:45 | 24.85 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/7
Overall: 62/87
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Rolling hills
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:53:23 | 06.21 miles | 08m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/7
Overall: 51/87
Performance: Good
Course: Very hilly out and back with long hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 9:36 AM

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Subject: Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate

2008-08-11 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1593961

User image

Expert
Central New York
Subject: RE: Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate
Good job on a challenging course. One of the tougher bike courses around.

Didn't experience the problems you had with race instructions, but that's a bit of a downer obviously.

Upward!
2008-08-11 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1593961

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Congrats on a good race.  I did the sprint, and found the directions to be fine, but this was the first year for the intermediate distance. 

Nice job on a hard course.

2008-08-11 2:56 PM
in reply to: #1594230

Veteran
Syracuse, NY
Xan - 2008-08-11 10:52 AM

Good job on a challenging course. One of the tougher bike courses around.

Didn't experience the problems you had with race instructions, but that's a bit of a downer obviously.

Upward!

Thanks! I went into the bike course blind, it's good to hear that it was challenging from others =)

Personally I didn't have any problems completing the correct course distances - I'm nitpicking at things that I guess I take for granted in other races.

The conflicting info on the printed material/packet pickup and a lack of a clear map showing the intermediate distance course was confusing and should be addressed!

Also, while I'm at it, the Start/Finish location was far from ideal - the steep hill into and out of that area was problematic with several bikers wiping out as they came into T2, and some had trouble out of T1 starting. Also, a steep downhill turn within 200yds of the finish could be perilous as people jockey for position... but again, nitpicking.

I liked the race and will most likely sign up for it again next year.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cazenovia Triathlon - Intermediate Rss Feed