General Discussion Race Reports! » Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
charleston, South Carolina
United States
Charleston Tri Club
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 14s
Overall Rank = 60/347
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 9/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing special. I woke up, ate half of a cliff bar, drank some water/gatorade, and drove to the race.
Event warmup:

I had tried to pick up my race packet the day before the race. They did not have my name on the race list. I knew my name was on the list b/c I checked it after I registered. Somehow my name was deleted. Luckily I had saved my registration receipts from Active when I registered. I was able to pull the proof of registration from my computer and had no problem getting a number.
As far as the warm up went. I ran for about 1.5 miles with some pickups, hit the porta potty, rode for about 5 miles with some fast spins, hit the porta potty, swam a couple of hundred yards, thought about going to porta potty again, but decided I was pooped out.
Swim
  • 10m 15s
  • 528 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have never been very good at drafting on people feet. I was no better at it today. After the first buoy I was basically by myself except for some stragglers from the previous waves that I would pass.
What would you do differently?:

Practice drafting and swim faster
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The transition time for this race is added into the total bike time. I think this first transition was somewhere around the 1:40 mark.
Bike
  • 36m 3s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Again the transition times are added into the bike. My bike computer reports I averaged around 22.5 MPH. My age group (35-39) was the last wave to leave the swim. Therefore, the bike can fool you when you are passing so many people. You are thinking to yourself, "Man, I'm blowing these people on mountain bikes away!" Then you look down at your computer and the bike computer shows 20 MPH. I felt like I did a good job at this race of keeping a steady cadence and I pushed a hard pace throughout.

Keep riding and keep pushing the pace.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I think the time was around 30 or 40 seconds.

I did get a little hung up with the stupid race belt. I finally had to ask myself why I was standing there messing with it when I could have been running.
Run
  • 22m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I came off the bike knowing I had a chance to have a PR for this race. I really wanted to run a steady run without blowing up. My first mile was around 7:20 pace and I felt pretty good. I saw a tall kind of goofy looking guy up in front of me. He had an awkward stride but he was running really well. I surged a little to catch up with him. We ran the second mile together around 7:12 pace. After the second mile he started falling off the pace. From that point I pushed as hard as I could until the end.

Not much. It was a good run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

I laid on the ground on my knees and elbows shortly after crossing the finish line. A girl must have thought I was dying. She asked if I was Ok. I said yes. She said that I didn't look to good and that she was going to get me some water. Sounded good to me b/c at that point I wasn't getting up. She came over with water and a medic. By this time I was sitting on my butt. I told the medic I was all good and thanked the girl for looking out for my safety. You know you left it all on the race course when other racers bring the medic!

Event comments:

One of my goals for the year was to break 1:10 for this course. I'm stoked to put up a good effort.

Last updated: 2008-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:15 | 528 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 87/347
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise diamond shape
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:03 | 13 miles | 21.64 mile/hr
Overall: 58/347
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: One big loop around park, then outside of the park to for a loop around to Folley Road then back to James Island County Park. The course is flat and the roads are pretty smooth.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 102
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:57 | 03.11 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 75/347
Performance: Good
Course: The course is two counter clockwise loops around the county park. The inner loop is on a paved trail path. It's a crooked little path, but it's well shaded.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-12 9:15 AM

User image

Veteran
SC
Subject: Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Charleston Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #4 Rss Feed