General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any cheap places for upgraded parts? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-12 10:42 PM

Subject: Any cheap places for upgraded parts?
I apologize, but please move to respective forum if this is not the appropriate one.

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to the sport and well, I basically just got my own personal bike back in february. It's a schwinn prelude 14 speed aluminum, 700C wheels...and that's all i know about it (reemphasizing new cyclist here). I've raced it a couple times in sprint triathlons and use it for commuting to my school. It's a good entry level bike for me, but I may need to upgrade sooner or later. This is because the bike is not entirely a fit for me (my arms is more forward than necessary), so I know I will have to make adjustments. Today I've replaced the stem with a specialized one I got from an LBS (~$40 + $10 handlebar shim). It's shorter than the original one, which is good and I will try how it feels tomorrow (hoping it will ease up the strain from my arms and neck).

Now I'm wondering if there's any way I could probably save up money or at least be cheap at upgrading parts. Is my LBS the best bet (in Santa Cruz)?

The next thing I'll be shelling out money on is aero bars. Would it be wise to buy (clip on?) aero bars at your LBS considering that they only have limited options? Is there any advice on buying aerobars? Does it matter where you buy it?

Comments and advice would be really helpful and I apologize for being naive about these things.

Thanks.

2008-08-13 7:52 AM
in reply to: #1599361

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
Subject: RE: Any cheap places for upgraded parts?

There are indeed lots of places (particularly online) where you can get bike parts cheaper than at your LBS. Performance/Nashbar, Colorado Cyclist (sometimes), Jenson, Price point, Bikeman....and on and on.

The caveat is that I think it is best to be an informed and failry savvy consumer when buying (particularly parts that affect your fit) sight unseen. Also, keep in mind that upgrade-itis is a disease that can result in a very unnatural thinning of your wallet.

2008-08-13 7:58 AM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Also, you're a professed beginner. Parts have had many standard sizes and variable dimensions based on the rider's size. You have to know what you're buying. The LBS insures that you at least can get it right w/ minimal chance of getting stuck (try THAT on eBay). Aerobars migh br 1 sensible upgrade, but if you go past that, like wheels, that's money not well spent.

I think with the fit issue getting solved you'll be happier with it. Save your money, get to be a stroner cyclist. Commuting is a great way to get some base miles in. Plan some training specific rides as well (hills, intervals, etc). Race occasionally to push yourself.

But upgrading a 15yo bike isn't real sensible. Riding it until you can afford more bike is sensible.

To improve: Ride lots. Also, ride lots. Did I mention: Ride lots?
2008-08-13 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
FL
Save your money to get a complete bike and keep the one you have for commuting. 
2008-08-13 10:38 AM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
Maybe some clipless pedals that can be transfered to a new bike.  I don't worry about upgrading parts until they break or wear out. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any cheap places for upgraded parts? Rss Feed