5430 Sports Corp.
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 14s
Overall Rank = 346/1296
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 19/53
Pre-race routine:

I am writing this race report three weeks post-race so it will be light on the details. Misty decided to skip coming to this race so I drive down to Boulder on my own. It was dark the whole way. I pulled in just as some light was showing over the horizon and by the time I got to the body marking it was light. I set my stuff up in transition and used the toilet and was ready to warm up.
Event warmup:

My warm-up was light for this race. I never really like to do a bike warm-up, I get this feeling if I go to far away from transition they might start the race without me or something crazy. Anyways I ran for about 10-15 mins lightly with a few short strides of 20 seconds or so to get a sweat going. I was in the 7th or 8th wave so I had a while to wait while all the other waves went off. Finally 10 minutes before my wave I got into the water. Pleasant, a little chilly. I am always cold in the water though even with a wetsuit. I did a quick 150 or so in the roped off area to get teh blood pumping again then I got ready for our wave start.
Swim
  • 30m 9s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

My swim was alright. After a couple hundred meters I had the breathing panic where the chest gets tight and its hard to catch your breath. You know the feeling where you want to take the wetsuit off and leave it behind. Anyways I fought through that and actually swam very well on the back half of the course.
What would you do differently?:

Relax a bit more
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Not bad transition it included the short run up the beach hill and into the transition.

Nada
Bike
  • 1h 16m 54s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.36 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course is defined by the climb up Old Stage Rd. This was my first time doing the climb on a bike. The day before the race I rode the bike course in my car and noted how hard the hill would be when I was traveling by human power tomorrow. Anyways I made it up the climb with many enthusiastic people lining the sides of the road and encouraging. At one point I stood up on the pedals and was told by and encourager "that's right, throw those handle bars back and forth baby!" Anyways I took note not to move my handlebars so much when I get out of the saddle.
After making it through the climb it was pretty much smooth sailing the rest of the way. My legs were a little tired but nothing that would hinder the rest of my race. Overall I enjoyed the course and the climb and descent through the mountains made the course very memorable.

I am a wimp on the descents so holding the aero position all the way down would have gained me a lot of time, but since I'm scared I hold onto the handle bars tightly and sacrifice the minute or two.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

The only interesting part of this transition was my bathroom break. I was surprised to visit the porto-let and still make it out of transition under 1:30 how did that happen?

Nothing
Run
  • 52m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I made it to the turnaround without any problem. I went out a little hard my first mile under 8mins. I dont recall the rest of the miles or what I ate, but most likely had a gel on the way out of transition and one again at the turnaround. I was taking Ice like crazy from the aid stations because it was so hot out on the way back from the turnaround.

Not a whole lot, I ran within my ability for the most part, as they say the only change would be to train better/more
Post race
Warm down:

After the race I was promptly handed a towel dunked in ice water which was the best thing ever. I kept the towel on my head while cooling off and protecting my neck/shoulders from the sun. I sauntered over the the beer tent and Avery Brewing Co. provided me with a free IPA. It was good, but my stomach wasnt very interested. After 3/4 of the beer I threw the rest out. I headed over to the food tent and grabbed some grub. I mostly go for the fruit and bread after races. No change today. Then I found a spot along the road where I could watch the Pro's start going by.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really except training harder

Event comments:

this is a great race. I think we started 10 mins slow or something, but that was due to a parking problem they had, and with so many people there it wasnt much of a surprise. The coolest part was being able to watch the pro race right after I finished. They set the start times so the Pros started when I was beginning my run. So by the time I hit the food tent etc. after the race the pro's had come in from the bike for their run. They ahd them run a special 3 lap course so the spectators can see them more.

Last updated: 2008-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:09 | 1500 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 33/53
Overall: 671/1296
Performance: Average
Suit: modified wetsuit
Course: The course leaves from the South swim beach right in front of the building and goes out around counterclockwise with buoys on the left and the finish is just north of the building.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:54 | 26.1 miles | 20.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/53
Overall: 238/1296
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course is one loop that takes you toward the mountains then up the notorious Old Stage Rd. which is a doozy. After climbing the hill there is a very fast easterly descent out of Left Hand Canyon. After that the road are a littly hilly but generally level back into transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:07 | 06.21 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/53
Overall: 431/1296
Performance: Good
Course: The course follows counterclockwise around the Res out on the "certain death" road as the race direactor called it. The road follows a river/canal with gushing water and every 100 feet there are signs that say "No Swimming, certain death if you enter the water, cold water goes underground downstream"
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes