USA Triathlon
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 51m 2s
Overall Rank = 194/597
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 18/27
Pre-race routine:

Arrived just as it was getting light, I drank a smoothie on the way over to the race. Pulled into the parking lot and set up my transition
Event warmup:

I did about a 1.5 mile run warm-up with stretching. It was fairly cold at the start so I didnt get into the water until the last minute.
Swim
  • 31m 50s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

swimming is my weakest event, despite that I felt good this whole swim. I had minor problems with sighting, I have problems staying too far to the right of buoys. This may be due to my preference to breath on the right side.
What would you do differently?:

Try to do some breathing on both sides and practice sighting while breathing to the left(this is why I choose not to breath to the left, I have problems sighting)
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

there is a longish run up to the transition area so by my time it appears they took the swim time at the entrance to the transition, after the jog back.

Nada
Bike
  • 1h 26m 25s
  • 30 miles
  • 20.83 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike ride was nice because I knew every inch of the course and knew exactly what I was getting into, where the hills are etc. This alone gives me confidence going into the ride. I passed a lot of people struggling up the what-seems-like-forever uphill but my descents are weak so some of the good descenders wiped away the time I gained on the climb. Overall the course is very nice and I managed my energy very well.

Descend a little better
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

rather fast transition for me, i'll take that

Nada
Run
  • 50m 28s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a pretty good run for me considering it is the longest run I had done since coming back from my knee problems. I didnt really struggle at any point except near the finish line when you actually run past the line about a quarter mile, then have to run the quarter mile back to the finish. This was a mental problem for me since I didnt realize we had to run around the little pond at the end. So in my mind I am nearing the finish only to find out I have to run .5 mile around this pond. Oh well I made it and was still smiling at the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

AFter the race I felt pretty good for my first Olympic distance of the year. I met up with Misty and Brandon they werew with Tymber. I came up a little fast on him I guess and he didnt recognize the guy in the spandex and sunglasses (me) for a few seconds. After that I hit the buffet for what was an awesome meal. Often races advertise great post-race meals and seldom are the meals worth talking about. This meal is worth talking about believe me, they even had fruit popsicles.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Really a lack of training because of recent knee problems. Other than that I am extremely happy with this result being as I ahd only trained 3-5 weeks for it, none of it very intense.

Event comments:

Fun overall race that all triathletes in the area should do and those from out of town should consider doing. You get a lot of nice scenery on the bike and I really enjoyed it.

Last updated: 2008-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:50 | 1500 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 22/27
Overall: 342/597
Performance: Good
Suit: modified Xterra
Course: The swim was a loopish type thing, going out to the south/southwest and following the western shoreling then turning around in the middle of the lake and swim back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:25 | 30 miles | 20.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/27
Overall: 137/597
Wind: Little
Course: The course is one of my favorite rides(maybe because I ride it all the time and it is very pretty). The course goes to the west out of loveland just into the foothills and uphill toward Masonville, then right by Horsetooth Mountain Park. Once past the park there is only one small climb remaining. Lots of descending here, time to relax while going fast. Out of the foothills the course turns South on Taft(i think) back toward loveland. That stretch back to transition has a lot of small but annoying hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:28 | 06.21 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/27
Overall: 239/597
Course: The course is an out and back around the east and then south side of the lake. I think there were 3 aid stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes