General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now what? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-16 10:51 AM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: Now what?
So I have decided that next summerI will do my first HIM. I have half a dozen tris under my belt including an Oly distance, and have a pretty good base built up.

My question is how many hours to put in during the "off season" before I start a HIM training plan?
Don't bother looking at my logs as they are empty, but I'm currently putting in about 7 to 8 hours a week. I don't want to lose the fitness I've gained. I will not be racing again this season apart from a half mary at the end of Sept.

What do you think?? Thanks!

2008-08-16 3:05 PM
in reply to: #1607797

Subject: RE: Now what?

Guess alot of it depends on when it is.  I have a coach and he had me doing 7-8 hours a week in the base building part of the year - alot of Z3 workouts (76 to 83% of max. HR), no speedwork or any really hard workouts.  I did something every day - he doesn't really believe much in days off.  I also did weigths twice a week.

Now I am only doing about 10 hr weeks - alot of hard Z3 workouts, some speed work, Z4 workouts (these are really tough!) and am still doing weights.

Before getting a coach, I did three HIM's and hardly did any base training - just ran about 25 miles a week and biked about 50.  I wouldn't recommend this, only if you want to finish.

Under my coach, I am working a lot, but have set major PR's in every race this year and am expecting to knock off app. 30 minutes from my HIM pr - so his training really works.

Hope this helps!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Now what? Rss Feed