General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finally..I'm a swimmer! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-17 12:02 PM

User image

Florence,Ms
Subject: Finally..I'm a swimmer!

At the pool yesterday, I finally got the hang of swimming with my head in the water and comming up for air... I was that swimmer that would keep her face out of the water the entire time while swimming...lol 

Now  I look like a real swimmer  :-)

I could only swim the length of the pool without stopping. But at least I could swim that far. I was a little tired when I got started. I had just finished a 6 mile run.

I only started running 3 months ago, But got a training program 5 weeks ago. Yesterday John and I ran 6 miles without stopping! Woo Hoo...  It was very challenging! He had to coax me to finish, He kept talking to me, running a few feet ahead of me, He knows that makes me wanna catch him....

Last weekend we done a 5K, My 4th 5k,But the first one I could run without walking somwhere in there.It was a PB for me also.

So 6 miles was a big deal for me.I walked a 1 mile warm up and a 1mile cool down too,So do I log 8 miles? or 6miles?

I am on my way to that sprint tri this spring!  

2008-08-17 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1608712

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Finally..I'm a swimmer!

Nice work!  I'd say you should be tired while swimming after a six mile run.

Are you planning on doing the Soak up the Sun?

2008-08-17 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Harrisburg, PA
Congrats! Believe me, I know what it's like to be able to swim only one length of the pool and have to stop and rest for a good chunk of change. You have to be patient. Hopefully you won't have to wait nine months or so, but I did, and came close many times to saying, "to hell with this." Next step is to see how many sets of 25 yards or meters you can do. Then you have to see about reducing the rest time after each pool length. Get help and asistance from a coach or somebody knowledgeable. I hired an instructor who gave me weekly half hour lessons which help me a lot, but still didn't get me breathing comfortably to do continuous swimming. That seems to only come from within. I finally had to force myself to swim sets of 100; shear force of will. Then came sets of 200, and then that glorious day of swimming 1x900. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I now enjoy the swim. Though I had to DNF my last tri, due to flat tire issues, I looked forwrd to and enjoyed the 900 yard swim. Now I can work on form and try to get some speed.

Keep with the running, but take it easy and work speed and distance incrementally. I started running at age 45 and had to go through my knees protesting this new activity. I initially pushed myself too far and too fast and had to go through icings, knee wraps, and a lot of knee workouts. As for logging your milage, I'm not sure what the more experienced would do, but I would log the whole distance, and break down the times and distances in the notes.

You didn't mention anything about biking. Hopefully you have a bike and are getting the miles in there also.
2008-08-17 12:31 PM

User image

Florence,Ms

I  think Soak up the Sun will probally be my first. John thinks the Heatwave may be a little tough for me,But who knows, Maybe I will do them both... :-)

2008-08-17 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1608738

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
MisipiGirl - 2008-08-17 12:31 PM

I  think Soak up the Sun will probally be my first. John thinks the Heatwave may be a little tough for me,But who knows, Maybe I will do them both... :-)

The Heatwave is pretty tough, but doable.  The hardest thing about it is that the run is HOT, and the first three miles are pretty much uphill.  It's also a wave start, which can be sort of intimidating to beginners.  I did both of those races as my first two tris.  I finished  Took me a while to get through the Heatwave though.

I'll probably be volunteering at Soak up the Sun this year, so I'll see ya out there.  Good luck!

2008-08-17 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1608735

User image

Florence,Ms

Yes, I am riding some,Mostly on the trainer indoors. John and I ride on the weekends. He is adjusting my bike right now for a ride later today. He put a fastforward seat post on it. It's a Quintana Roo Trueno my son outgrew last year.

If I could just used to those darn clip pedals... I do great on the ride, Have made it out and back on a few 25 - 30 mile rides,But when I get back, and get ready to stop... I fall over trying to get that darn clip undone...LOL

He has me training using a video,Peddling Strength I think it's called,So I can learn the gears,When to shift and build the muscles up in my legs,also Getting used to that aero position is hard,It makes my neck sore still...But I will never give up!  ha ha

2008-08-18 2:33 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Congrats :-)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Finally..I'm a swimmer! Rss Feed