Age Group Rank = 1/19
Event warmup:

7 minute jog, only a few stretches
Swim
  • 19m 11s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was not good. It was more about finishing the swim than doing well. I was really worried about whether I was staying on course or not. About three times during the swim I was like "Oh yeah, I am supposed to be doing all those things they taught me in masters" and I thought about that for a few strokes, looked up, and I had gone off course already!
What would you do differently?:

Practice more open water w/sighting. Get stronger and spend more time swimming so I can be more confident in the water.
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

I didn't really practice transitions (and by "didn't really" I mean didn't at all!). Was really dizzy and almost go to revisit the gu I scarfed down during the transition before I had a chance to breathe without the wetsuit asphyxiating me.

Maybe try the shoes already on the bike thing and practice taking the wetsuit off fast! Get a shirt that I can wear in the water so I don't have to put a shirt on when I am wet.
Bike
  • 54m 34s
  • 19.5 miles
  • 21.44 mile/hr
Comments:

I destroyed the bike!! I passed (no joke) about 45 people on the bike and was only passed by 3 people, whom I promptly re-passed!! I was hammering it out; feeling the burn; using my power! It was awesome!!. I was pushing it at like 90 - 100% the whole bike course but I felt great! All that biking realllly paid off! Accelerade is my liquid power (1 bottle w/one scoop on bike). We go together like Popeye and Spinach :)

Bike couldn't have gone any better! (in case you couldn't tell from all the exclamation points!!)
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Comments:

Did a gu, drank some water.

I lost A LOT of time in transitions (my total T-time was 185th). Using quick laces, no socks.. not sure how else to drop this trans time...
Run
  • 21m 31s
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't use the footpod so I had no clue what my pace was but I just kept pushing at 95% the whole time. I'm really starting to be able to control my breathing on the runs and I think this is what is letting me get my pace up and keep it there. Legs felt good all things considered. I was more concerned about the "blister" that was forming under my left arch ("blister" is in quotes b/c when I took my shoe off I realized I was running with a stick in my shoe... needless to say a piece of my foot is missing now...). Oh, and I got my negative splits!! 11:21 for the first half, 10:10 for the second!!

Look up so I know how close the finish is and can sprint for a longer distance. I am really happy with this 3 mile time; my fastest run ever!
Post race
Warm down:

Abruptly stopped and took my shoe off, after doing which the offending stick promptly fell off of my foot (taking my skin with it), and leaving me to walk about 50 yards before I couldn't walk anymore cause the grass was stabbing me!! (I love battle wounds :)) Oh, and I stretched a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim is WAAAY too slow! NEED TO SPEND MORE TIME IN THE POOL (and open water)!!! And the transitions... that's crappy to lose time there. Where I placed in each of the events (along with transition) is directly correlated to how much time I put into each (with NO practice of transitioning). Maybe the stick in my shoe or the partially-torn Achilles tendon slowed me down a bit on the run but then again this blows the pants of my previous record of 25:11 for a 5k!!

Event comments:

Well organized.

Last updated: 2008-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:11 | 880 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 143/318
Performance: Average
150 avg/181 max
Suit: Xterra Vortex2
Course: Triangle course in the pond
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:54:34 | 19.5 miles | 21.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 79/318
Performance: Good
HRM doesn't like to work on the bike when I want it to...
Wind: Some
Course: Flat and fast!
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:31 | 03 miles | 07m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 123/318
Performance: Good
171 avg/181 max
Course: Again, flat and fast, out and back.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes