Sanford, Michigan
United States
3 disciplines racing
Total Time = 2h 54m 21s
Overall Rank = 4/15
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5am, drove to sanford, ate a bagel, registered for the race.
Event warmup:

set up transition, took the bike for a quick spin. did a quick jog, the wetsuit dance and then a short swim in a very weedy lake.
Swim
  • 38m 31s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 21s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim wasn't bad. I was very nervous, this was my first oly and i had only swam this distance once in training about 2 weeks before the race. There were only 15 women in the oly so the swim was wide open. They started the men first. The only thing you had to contest with was the weeds, they were very bad for the first 300m or so. To the point where when pulling underwater your hands were in them..gross. Regardless, i swam about the 1st 400, then took a quick breaststroke breather, cleared my left goggle, swam some more, and continued the pattern of swimming and breaststroking as I would get freaked out. I finished and didn't drown woo hoo!!!
What would you do differently?:

I really need to get my swim confidence up. There was never anytime on the course that I was out of breath/struggling, but for some reason my mind kept telling me I needed to take a breather. I swam thru that as much as I could and probably only breaststroked 6 or 7 times. For my first Oly, i'll be ok with that.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Ok so this T1 was kinda rotten for me. I couldnt get the wetsuit off my foot and I was a little winded from the swim. Did alright but I need to work on keeping the shoes on the bike.

shoes on the bike, body glide the ankle.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 30s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really hoping to average 20mph, but with the limited amount of training i had done leading into this race, no complaints. I was really struggling on the way out, didn't think there was much wind, but as soon as I hit the turnaround, instant increase at speed. Nutrition was spot on, drank the aero bottle of gatorade and filled it with h20 when i was done, drank most of the h20. took in 2 gu's.

need to improve bike fitness
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

OK so hopefully noone was video taping my dismount or you will get a laugh on you tube. I came into the transition area was out of my shoes in record time, but forgot that the bike doesn't stop quite as nice with the race wheels on as with the aluminum wheels. (i forgot to adjust the brakes for the change in wheel width) So i bailed off the bike at the dismount line going way too fast. it was like a cartoon. feet were going as fast as they could. i must have spun the pedal when i jumped off b/c my shoe caught the ground and launched the bike. I was all i could do to keep from losing the bike and taking a tumble myself. I think i let out an "Oh Hell" and got quite a few laughs as I continued my way into transition. Got the shoes on, no socks and grabbed my gu and race belt.

slow down.
Run
  • 56m
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Run went ok, wasn't sure what to expect and my goal was to just finish at this point. I was 3rd overall at the beginning of the run. 2 miles into the run, I could feel blisters starting on both feet. oh well, i'm gonna have to find something different for next year, my shoes are discontinued. at about the 4 mile mark one lady passed me, she wound up having the fastest run split by about nearly 3 minutes.

took in h20 at the first and last aid station and heed in the middle one. yuck. also took in a gu.

just need to work on the run fitness. I was happy with this though. no side stitch and I didn't walk once.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around and talked to some people that I went to college with. Washed off my feet, the blisters were hella nasty.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

being out of shape

Event comments:

Race was pretty basic, out and back on the bike, out and back on the run. Swim was full of weeds. After party was same as any other 3D event. Did have some nice give aways, wetsuit, bike, etc. I'd do it again next year for sure.

Last updated: 2008-08-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:31 | 1640 yards | 02m 21s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 0/15
Performance: Average
Suit: wetsuit
Course: kind of a triangle, 600m out, 300m across the back of the lake, 600m back to the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:48
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:17:30 | 24.85 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/3
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:56:00 | 06.21 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Clio, MIchigan
Subject: Sanford and Sun Triathlon

2008-08-18 1:39 PM
in reply to: #1610733

User image

Subject: RE: Sanford and Sun Triathlon

Great race!  Good job clawing through those weeds. (you have to admit it was kinda fun to turn and throw them at the people behind you!

Troy

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sanford and Sun Triathlon Rss Feed