United States
Set-Up, Inc.
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 35m 31s
Overall Rank = 95/313
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/40
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30 and left around 5:20. A couple minutes into the drive, I realized I left my PB&J sandwich in the fridge, so we turned around and went back. It was really foggy for most of the drive. We got to the park around 6:30, and we walked from the parking area to packet pickup and I realized I left my wallet in the car. I guess I was in a forgetful mood that morning. I ran back to the car and back, and got my race packet. After setting up my transition area, I had my PB&J and a powerbar around 7:00 (an hour before start time).
Event warmup:

I guess running back to the car to get my wallet was my warmup. It was probably a half mile or so. I also stretched out my arms on the beach waiting for the start.
Swim
  • 25m 18s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

The sun was in my eyes quite a bit while I was trying to site. I should get some tinted goggles. And, I still think it's ridiculous that people are allowed to wear wetsuits in 74 degree water.

The swim got pretty crowded on the second lap as we caught up to people who were still on their first lap.
What would you do differently?:

It would be nice if I had time to get do a third swim workout every week, but unfortunately I just don't have time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

It was a nice flat area going out of the park, so it was much easier to get my shoes on while on the bike. My left calf started cramping as I was trying to get that shoe on though. I thought it was strange all I'd done was swim by that point. It stopped once I got my shoe on, so that was good. Maybe it was because there was a huge flight of stairs we had to run up from the beach to the TA.

Nothing, I thought it went pretty well.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 1s
  • 26 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr
Comments:

I really liked this course. There were a couple times I was over 40mph. My hamstrings were really hurting at the end though. I was talking to a woman afterwards, and she said that's probably because I don't spend enough practice time in my aerobars. I think she's right, cause I don't use them when I'm going through town on my commute, cause there's too much traffic and stoplights.

Here's the data from my comp. It includes the time pushing my bike in the transition area though. I'm guessing the course is probably around 26 miles, if you subtract distance for the transition area.

Time: 1:16:05
Max Speed: 47.2
Avg Speed: 20.8
Distance: 26.35

Spend more time in aero position. I need to pick back up my monthly mileage too. I'm way under what I was doing last year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

I think I got my running shoes on a little better than at the last race. I grabbed a gel and had that while I was running and threw it away in the first aid station.
Run
  • 52m 27s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

My hamstrings were killing on this run. At first, I was wondering if I was even going to be able to finish. On the second lap, they started to feel a little better though.

As I mentioned before, I need to ride more in the aero position so that my legs are used to it when I start the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a few minutes and then stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My hamstrings being in pain.

Event comments:

This was a good race. I really liked the bike course. It was a nice atmosphere too. They had a live band afterward, which was neat.

Last updated: 2008-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:18 | 1640 yards | 01m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/40
Overall: 87/313
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shirt and shorts
Course: 2 laps around a triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:01 | 26 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/40
Overall: 56/313
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: It had some really nice hills. We rode for a few miles, and then got to a place where we did two loops. Then, after the second loop we rode a few miles back to the park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:52:27 | 06.2 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 22/40
Overall: 193/313
Performance: Below average
Course: This was an out and back course which we did twice.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-18 4:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Virginia
Subject: Luray Olympic Triathlon

2008-08-21 6:25 PM
in reply to: #1611600

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Luray Olympic Triathlon
Congratulations on your race!  Sorry to see you had trouble with cramping, but good that you got through it and still had a great finishing place!  Hopefully that won't come up again.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Luray Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed