Multisports Canada
30C / 86F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 38m 12s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Well, I'm lucky that the event is just a few minutes away. I woke up at 6:00 and had 3 eggs and 2 toast slices with peanut butter and honey. Even had a coffee this morning as I don't want to mess too much with my "normal" routine. Left for the event a little after 7:00.
Event warmup:

I wasn't nearly as nervous as the Coral Springs event. After getting the bike in the rack and registering I set up my tranistion and put on the wetsuit. The water felt great in the morning and I was very comfortable. Chatted with a fellow competitor for a bit and that was about it.
Swim
  • 30m 51s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Much better race than my first event. My first 200m was good as I stayed with the main pack. There were some guys that stopped or slowed up in front of me that actually slowed me down some. My pace was pretty good, but my sighting was poor at times. I felt I could of swam straighter. Nearing the end a guy kept criss-crossing in front of me and I couldn't pass him, but he was somewhat slowing me down as I was pushing for the final buoy. I really wanted to get a sub-30 minute time but it didn't happen. Too bad.
What would you do differently?:

You know, I've done the start near the back of the pack for my first two events. This time it bit me because I was faster than people in front of me. I may have been able to hit my goal time if I start in the front of the pack. Let people pass me instead of navigating my way through the masses at the beginning. I'm not a strong swimmer, but I'm better than the BOP's so why start there?
Transition 1
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Well, I had a great T1. You exit the swim on a boat launch, which is much better than a beach exit where your feet get all sandy. I had my swim cap, goggles and top off before I even got to my bike where I quickly ripped off the bib-john and put my sunglasses, skull cap, helmet and shoes on and was off. I chuckled to myself as the guy down from me was struggling to get his suit off over his ankles while I got my De Soto off so fast your head would spin.

Nothing. I do want to get into pre-clipping my shoes but I don't have the right shoes for it I don't think. The U40 Oly racks were furthest from the mount line so I didn't have much of an option to be closer, but obviously I could of reduced my time if I didn't have to run in my shoes or if I was closer to the mount line.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 1s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.33 km/hr
Comments:

Well, I was going pretty hard on the bike. Maybe a little too hard, but I can't help but to bust it sometimes. I still get passed by guys on tri-bikes but this time they didn't have as big an advantage because of the hill and all the turns below the hill. I passed lots and lots of people on the bike, especially on the climb. All the hill training I've done clearly made me much stronger on that climb each loop. I'd throw it back into my big ring and push a couple strokes before the top of the climb so I didn't lose any momentum. After seeing how many bikes were gone from the rack when I left for the bike and seeing how many were still out when I got back from the bike was a nice feeling.

I'm very happy with my biking. I just need a tri-bike. I get passed by inferior bikers only because of their equipment. Next year this will not be an issue.
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

I guess I could do this better. I'm still tieing laces which adds at least 30 seconds in time. I grabbed a Hammer Gel and started running.

Get my feet out of my shoes before the mount line and just run with shoes still clipped in to my rack. Get zip laces.
Run
  • 52m 8s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 13s  min/km
Comments:

Terrible run. Just bad. I know I can run this at least 5 minutes faster than I did. I was getting passed by everybody and their mother on the run. I just couldn't go any faster. My HR was at 169 and I just felt exhausted. At this point it was 30 celcius out and I could just feel the heat sucking my energy. This was the slowest run I've done in a long time - bad timing for that.

I also passed a guy in the last 300m or so only to have him kick past me in the final meter before the finish line. Pissed me off as I played that very poorly, strategically. Haha, actually now that I see the official results this same guy that kicked me at the end of the run was also the same guy that was cutting me off in the water near the end. I will remember your name, Troy Lemens, and beat you next time. You and your fancy tri-bike. Just wait until I get mine.

Two factors I believe contributed to my poor run. The main thing was the amount of sun I got the day before. 5 hours at the lake in the sun. I got sunburnt. Next time I'm staying out of the sun the day before completely. The second was the bike may have been too hard. It's hard to tell, but I may slow up a bit on the bike to save the legs for the run.

As for being kicked at the end, next time I won't pass anybody like that. It only motivates them. Instead I'll kick the last 50-100m and pass them then so they don't have a chance.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some fruit and sucked back on some water while stretching under a tree in some shade.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The amount of sun I got the day before. Too much. I think I even had mild sun-stroke after the race.

Event comments:

I didn't hang around too much. I wanted to get home, shower and have a cold beer. There were still lots of people out on the course and I didn't want to hang around for 3 hours for awards and final results.

Last updated: 2008-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:51 | 1500 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: De Soto First Wave
Course: The water was calm and warm. The course was two loops with easy to spot buoys. My wave was the U40 Olympic.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:13
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:01 | 40 kms | 33.33 km/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: This was a 5 loop course around the community that included a decent hill climb on each loop. The wind was blowing from the SE so at times you had a tail wind and other times a head wind.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:08 | 10 kms | 05m 13s  min/km
Performance: Bad
169HR the entire time. ugh.
Course: A two loop course, running the opposite direction of the bike. You go through the lake area and move to the streets.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?