General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lent - its an Irish thing, but it helps! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2005-02-10 5:28 PM
in reply to: #115115

User image

New user
Westchester County, NY
Subject: RE: Lent - its an Irish thing, but it helps!

Irish Stu - 2005-02-09 5:02 PM Hi everyone, I appreciate the discussion & will go with not breaking Lent (great help to lowering body fat%) on Sundays. I'll throw one more question into the ring, I'm Irish & living in a small village outside Dublin - do I get to break Lent on St Patrick's Day (our national holiday for those not in the know)? Talk soon, Stu

I don't know, but I live in NY and when St Pat's landed on a Friday, the Bishop said we could eat corned beef.  He's our patron saint, too. 

2005-02-10 5:39 PM
in reply to: #114376

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida

I gave up trying to make it work with me and the ex. lol

Any single woman out there? I can use a workout buddy.

-D

2005-03-18 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Just found this post and thought I would bring it back to the front since there is only a week left!

I gave up 'multiple alcoholic beverages' for Lent.  I've done the cold turkey alcohol stint in previous Lents and this one has been harder!  It's like I get a taste and can't have any more!  Though I HAVE gotten creative with the size of the glasses...

I hope everyone has been successful in their Lenten adventures!

Oh, and I don't take Sundays as free either...just doesn't sit right with me...seems kind of like binging...

Edited by jldicarlo 2005-03-18 12:20 PM
2005-03-22 12:00 PM

swindon
Well done everyone - especially those to choose to give up alcohol - very brave!!!!

I decided to give up (similar to Irish Stu) sweets/chocolate/biscuits/cakes and worst of all - fizzy drinks!! Never knew I was so addicted to diet Coke!

I have lost 10 pounds and last night I decided that I think I can see a six pack! (not bad for a girl). Oh and i haven't needed a filling at the dentist for at least 2 months now!

Very pleased - will be participating in Lent again I think!!
2005-03-23 6:14 AM

User image

Regular
Dublin
Jayne,

well done, I'm down 8 pounds since the start of Lent. Those "junkie" cravings for chocolate have stopped (cold sweats etc.) and I will try to keep the healthier eating going after Sunday!
Stu
2005-03-23 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Ventura, California
as a good Irish Catholic boy I made the insane choice to give up Beer for lent. (not wine though and i do not drink hard alcohol). I have made it all the way through and i cannot wait for Easter when i can enjoy a tasty hefe or a Coors Light!!!

dc

2005-03-24 6:05 AM

User image

Regular
Dublin
Davitt! You're mental!
Beer is the cause of and solution to all of lifes problems (Homer Simpson)

I'm not the stereotyped Irish fighting, beer swillin' yokel but to give up beer, wow that really is commitment!

Enjoy the Coors on Sunday.
Stu
2005-03-24 11:24 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
I didn't give up anything this year for lent, mainly because I couldn't figure out what to give up. Over the past few years, i've given up some pretty hard things but have been able to stick with them. A few years ago, I gave up soda for lent. I was probably drinking about 2liters a day at that point. Gave it up cold turkey. I was a mess for the first 2weeks. I didn't even treat myself on Sundays. Except one, when i was eating out and the only thing they had was soda, no hawawin punch. After that I really don't drink soda anymore. Had my first one yesterday in about three weeks. Because of training/dieting I don't eat candy or junk food, so i've been pretty good.
2005-03-26 7:51 AM

Basically, this is a BS tradition and you will "give up" whatever you please. You will soon "amazingly" you will find out you wont need the previous as much. Spiritually, is very studied and is measured, so if you believe it is true, but it is a little off beat. Just remember, it aint about giving up as bacon as some would wish
2005-03-29 4:06 PM

User image

Regular
Dublin
Nate,

I'm an Irish RC who has given up pleasures that I really enjoy. Offering up that absence to my beliefs & hoping that the sacrifice is enriching and strengthening. I'm sorry that of all the people who felt compelled to reply to my thread you were the only one who seemed negative on the subject.

Maybe next year I will give up posting threads on small sacrifices that can improve our character, maybe not.

Regards & good training,
Stu
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Lent - its an Irish thing, but it helps! Rss Feed  

of 2