Victory cycles
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 35s
Overall Rank = 21/39
Age Group = M 40-49
Age Group Rank = 10/16
Pre-race routine:

Drove out to RI from work; about 40 minutes. Had some trouble getting the bike put together; it needs a good work-over.
Event warmup:

Rode 4-5 laps on the Ninigret crit course to open up the legs. Chatted with my team-mates about their hell ride on Saturday where I got dropped during the first hour. I'm now glad that I did! Rode out to the start line and took a spot about 1/3 back the line. I was still warm when I had my start slot which is what you want. Waited for my turn, clipped in and hit the gas
Bike
  • 24m 34s
  • 9.3 miles
  • 22.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I was able to hit the line warmed up for the first time. I always wrestle with what is a warm up versus am I burning energy which I'll need come race time. Got it right tonight. As soon as my start left, I hit the gas. Started in the 53x21, but quickly dropped down to the 15 or 14 and still maintained my cadence. I noticed gusts on my left-front and thought the wind was only extremely coastal. HR was maxed completely. I hit the far point in 11 something; cooking right along.

And then depression set in. I make the turn around and the wind hit you in the face. Strong and consistient from the west. Oh well, suck it up and try to stay low and out of it. I was able to keep my speed above 20 even up the 2 hills on the ride in. AT the town line, I really started dumping out the legs and putting anything in me to the pedals. Crossed the line and felt great.

When I got my time, it was 5 seconds slower than week 8. But, checking others who did week 8, they're all >25 seconds slower here on week 12, so I'm really happy.

It also reconfirms that my two previous tri splits of 18.6 and 19.2mph average speeds really were that bad. I can and should be faster.
What would you do differently?:

Not much; I crushed it. Keep getting stronger and try to break under 24min flat next year.
Post race
Warm down:

Rode back to the parking and waited for Martin to bring our times. Straight home after mine was read; I didn't want to hang around all night.

Event comments:

Last one for 2008 for me.

Full results at http://members.cox.net/kingctt/ctt08/index.htm

Last updated: 2008-08-19 12:00 AM
Biking
00:24:34 | 9.3 miles | 22.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/16
Overall: 21/39
Performance: Good
Red line maxed pretty much from the third through the last pedal stroke.
Wind: Strong
Course: An out and back on US 1. Some small rollers, but really shallow. Wide shoulders and little interference with traffic. You do need to cross to the left side of the road for the turn-around and re-cross for the back leg, but it's not dangerous.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right