West Point Triathlon
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 33m 6s
Overall Rank = 300/562
Age Group = athena
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

drove up w/ Mike. Left at 5:30 - after Kate was up from 1 to 3am. Didn't feel tired but man, did my stomach not feel good...more on that later.
Realized at the rest stop 1 hr. away that we both thought the other one got the water bottles out of the fridge. Bought some smart water at the rest stop and we were good to go.
Got to the race site and hit porta potty just in time - got checked in and had about 9 mins. in a CROWDED transition area to get ready and go.
Event warmup:

None. Managed to hit the porta potty for the 3rd time right before the start of the race. Helped, but not too much.
Swim
  • 14m 52s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out feeling less than fair. Had stomach issues and "girl" issues also. I started feeling worse pretty quickly. Nausous, dizzy, light headed, etc. I decided to play it safe and after doing some back stroke and treading water, I got myself into a boat. The army guy who helped me in was very efficient - I went sailing onto the boat and landed at his feet! I felt crummy and disappointed in myself.
What would you do differently?:

HTFU and SWIM!
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Im gonna try and post the picture of the blue CHAIR that someone brought into transition. Said chair was left in the middle of the row in an already overly cramped area!!! Had to weave past chair on my way into my spot and then weave around it(and other people) again with my bike on the way out.

Other than having to hurdle a chair, not too much. Felt quite fresh after swimming less than 500 meters!
Bike
  • 45m 1s
  • 15.53 miles
  • 20.70 mile/hr
Comments:

It was a hilly course - kinds I like. Long but not too steep. After the disasterous swim, I took a gel in the beginning of the bike and was just giving myself a little pity party for a bit. Right before the 1st turnaround, I think I see Mike in front of me heading down the hill after he had turned. I decided then and there to kick it up and forget about the (lack of) swim and have a good rest of race. I proceeded to try and catch him. I was sailing downhill and hammering back up. I finally caught up and realized it WASN'T him!! I took this as a sign for me to go and ride. I did and enjoyed it. My belly felt so, so, so much better and I was able to complete the bike in a respectabale time. I was leapfrogging with another girl for most of the bike and finally caught and passed her at the very end. I'll see her very soon though. . . .

Not dwell in the past and focus on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 56s
Comments:

Someone had kicked the chair out of the way at least.... I had a tough time for some reason tying my shoes. Go figure.

Well, I want to learn to leave the shoes on the bike, flying dismount thing.
Run
  • 29m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Ugghhh. My legs felt fine, my stomach felt fine but I was just slow as molasses going up and down so many hills. My female problems came back and I wasn't very comfortable for some of the run - AND, I didn't realize that we had to run past transition for 1/4 mile then 1/4 mile back. I saw transition and thought I was done - although we had just passed 2 miles but I don't know, I just heard the announcer and thought how nice it would be to be done.

go faster. Oh, the girl I was leaprfogging with blew past me within the first 200 or so yards on the run - and steadily widened her lead. Great running by her!
Post race
Warm down:

Ate a bagel and orange and some water. Hung out with Mike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Oh, a stomach and girlie things....

Event comments:

It is a beautiful course and the day was overcast and cool. Not a typical Aug. in NY.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:52 | 875 yards | 01m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/562
Performance:
Suit:
Course: straight out, left at the last bouy, left at the next bouy and head for home. counterclockwise.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:01 | 15.53 miles | 20.70 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Hilly! Out of the base to main road, went right about 4 miles, turned around, back past the base to another turnaround and back into the base. Very hilly - not too steep but long ones.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:56
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:29:16 | 03.11 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Lots of loops and out and backs within the army base. There were some H-I-L-L-S
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-08-24 6:51 PM

User image

Master
NJ
Subject: West Point Triathlon

2008-08-24 9:39 PM
in reply to: #1624402

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Subject: RE: West Point Triathlon

Funny that I read your race report, I was packing up my things after the race and saw the blue chair in the transition area.  My first thought was - "You run, bike and swim but are too lazy to sit on the ground?"

Looks like you had a good race.  We lucked out on the weather. 

Did you happen to notice that the fast runners had an "R" on their legs?  I didn't catch that at first and was wondering why people were FLYING by me on the run.  Then I realized they were in the relay teams and their Sunday morning consistent of a mere 5K.

I live in Highland Falls, so the bike course is my normal training route.  If you do this next year, we'll have to meet up so I can say hello in person.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » West Point Triathlon Rss Feed