General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Schwinn Hybrid size OK? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-25 8:51 AM

User image

Miami, FL
Subject: Schwinn Hybrid size OK?

So, I have been training on a stationary for a better part of two weeks now, I didn't have a bike until now. Father in law gave me his Schwinn Hybrid like bike. Its in excellent condition but I am wondering about the size. I am 5'11" bordering on 6' and all I see on the frame is 21.

Wondering if anyone with any Schwinn bike sizing knowledge can tell me if this is an OK size for me. I know any bike is better than no bike. I will probably be getting a decent starter Tri-bike come Christmas so I have to make due with this one till then. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by doubletap 2008-08-25 8:52 AM

2008-08-25 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1625246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
Subject: RE: Schwinn Hybrid size OK?

I rode a Schwinn hybrid for a couple of years or so.

It's the one pictured here: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XxTBFYKXL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

(sorry, I can't host pictures at work or I would post the picture myself).

Not sure about that number 21 - maybe it is the size (seat tube) in inches, which would make it around size 53-54.  If that is the case, ideally for your height you would probably want it a little bigger (depending on fit etc).  But it won't be like a clown bike or anything.

I don't remember if my bike had a size label on it - I still have it so I'll check when I get home.

Assuming it's the same bike and same size... I'm 5'10" and it fit me OK just to ride to work and back.  I had to raise the seat quite high, but felt fairly comfortable overall.  I did a little training on it before getting a road bike and I remember thinking that if necessary I would be OK riding it for my first sprint tri, just to get through the bike leg.

My (completely inexpert) advice:  If it's the same as my old bike, and so long as you can ride it without feeling like you're risking your knees or back, you should be fine for some non-intense training until you get your new bike at the end of the year.

Hope that helps a little.

2008-08-25 3:04 PM

User image

Miami, FL

Definitely does, Thanks.

The one I have looks very similar, it says 21 on the vertical bar in the frame (clearly I'm new to biking). I didnt feel any issues except for the handlebar being a bit too far away but that was easily adjusted and can be adjusted even further down the road.

I am thinking of getting side bars so I have options on hand positioning, any other suggestions till I get my Tri in December?

Edited by doubletap 2008-08-25 3:13 PM
2008-08-25 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1626535

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

Good idea on the bars - I remember my wrists and hands used to go a little numb sometimes on longer rides on the Schwinn and I wished I had side bars or bar ends or whatever they're called.

Since I'm not that much more than a beginner myself I don't have much more to add except the basic general stuff... keep the tires pumped, clean and relube the chain regularly etc.  I was surprised how much those things help.

Also, this is pretty obvious but when riding fast on steep downhills I used to become very much aware that I wasn't exactly riding top of the line equipment... I guess I just mean take it a little easy and pay attention to any damage etc until you get your new bike.  Then you will be invincible. Laughing

Good luck.

2008-08-26 9:10 AM

User image

Miami, FL
Thanks for the advice.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Schwinn Hybrid size OK? Rss Feed