Cornelius, North Carolina
United States
Lake Norman YMCA
Total Time = 1h 27m 15s
Overall Rank = 57/394
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/42
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00. Pulled the wife and baby out of bed. Bagel and cream cheese. Only about a 15 minute drive to race site (my hometown event).

Set up transition area, chip pick-up, body marking, etc.

Loooooong line for the port-a-potty.
Event warmup:

Stood in line for the port-a-potty...
Swim
  • 12m 57s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Water temperature was much lower than last year, which was good. I felt strong on the way out and managed to stay ahead of the masses, so it was smooth sailing for the most part, until I caught up to the previous wave toward the end. After the turn around, the sun is directly in your eyes and you can't see a thing. I've done this swim before, so I expected this phenomenon, and did quite a bit of breaststroke on the way in for sighting purposes.
What would you do differently?:

Could have trained in the pool more... Only been wet 3 or 4 times over the last 2 months...
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

T1 includes a long run from the lake, up a dirt hill, through a parking lot, to the transition area. T1 was much faster for me than last year, so I'm happy.
Bike
  • 49m 27s
  • 16.8 miles
  • 20.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I dropped significant time off the same bike course from last year, about 4 minutes I think, so that was good. Lot's of rollers with a few somewhat challenging climbs thrown in; Its a solid bike course. Road conditions were hit or miss, some pretty bad stretches throughout the rural parts of the course. I didn't feel too hot for the first 5 miles or so, but settled in and pushed pretty hard after that. My goal was to average 20mph, and I did that, so I'm happy.

Again, haven't spent much time on the bike lately, but given the training that I have done, I'm satisfied with the result.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

This was a fairly solid transition for me. For the first time ever, I actually remembered to just grab my number belt and hat and wait to put them on till I was already running, instead of standing in T2 fumbling with them.

One of these days I'll get up the cajones to go sockless. Other than that, it was good.
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

No shade on the course. Temp was starting to warm up, but never got unbearable. I had to stop early on to get a pebble out of my shoe. Found out that it was actually inside my sock. So I lost 30-45 seconds sitting on a curb taking off my sock, extracting said pebble, and putting sock and shoe back on. Pretty uneventful run other than that. This was my only sub-par performance of the day. My goal was to go 6:30 miles, which I know I can do (my training has been run-focused lately). I think I wasn't there mentally to push as hard as I could have.

A guy in my age group finished like 8 seconds ahead of me. He was pretty much that far ahead of me the whole last mile... I should have caught him. Like I said, I don't think I was there mentally.
Post race
Warm down:

Coke and a smile. Walked around with my 1 year old and talked to some friends. What more can a guy ask for.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Spotty training in the previous months. Better get that under control before my HIM in 9 weeks.

Last updated: 2008-08-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:57 | 820 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/42
Overall: 0/394
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Rectangular out and back.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: