General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Capri Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 53s
Overall Rank = 1742/4089
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 254/499
Pre-race routine:

Racked bike in Transition at 4:30, went back to hotel to kill 4 hours. Annoying, but I handled the wait much better than last year.
Event warmup:

A little stretching and playing with my baby.
Swim
  • 32m 1s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

Brutal at the beginning. No room at all. Finally thinned out a bit, but I still never felt like I got a chance to truly get into a rhythm, as there would always be someone in the way, either in front or next to me. Got kicked in the face twice but luckily neither kick caught my nose or jarred my goggled loose. I love this swim course and hate it at the same time...the navigation is sooo easy with the seawall right there and the boats on the other side, but being the biggest tri in the world, there are lots of people and it's a battle. Overall, my time was decent, about what I expected so I'm fine with my swim performance.
What would you do differently?:

Keep pressing forward, there were a couple times when I felt like I was in a big pack so I would stop, slow down and wait for the people I was battling to get ahead of me so I could have some space...but it never worked because as soon as they got ahead and I started going again, there were more people coming from behind and I'd find myself in the same situation.
Transition 1
  • 03m 31s
Comments:

Wetsuit is sooo hard to get off my heels. Took me forever to wiggle out of that thing. Also, bike shoes are bike shoes with 3 straps on each shoe, not tri shoes, so that costs me some time.

Rip wetsuit off quicker.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough head wind heading north. Nice tailwind heading south though. After first loop, it was really a kick in the nuts to have to turn back into that headwind. Very rough dangerous road, and lots of people not following the passing and riding rules, I'm just glad I escaped without a flat or a crash.
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

I thought I did this one ok, I don't remember any big hangups, but the time is a bit slow.

Just move faster.
Run
  • 59m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I could feel it coming, then just after first mile both quads cramped up like crazy. Stopped and stretched and took some water, walked a bit, then the cramps pretty much went away. First mile was 8:30 pace, then because of the stretching/walking, it went up to about 9:30 or slower for the rest fo the race. Hot going south, it was after noon and sun was in full force. I was struggling the whole time. Turned around to come back north and the wind helped cool me down, but was pretty strong in my face. Cramps were creeping back in at around 5 mile mark, some side stitches made their prescence felt and even a blister, that surprised me. Overall, it was basically a huge gut check, which I don't feel I fully rose to. It's easy to say now that it's over, but since there was no one thing that was totally holding me back I feel like I should have been able to push a little harder and not walk at all.

Just try to find a mental zone that pushes the pain down and allows me to fight a bit harder. I'm not terribly dissapointed, but alos don't feel totally satisfied.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around a bit in a daze, slam some cold ice water, stand in front of cold mist fan. Then a couple beers a some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It sounds like excuses, but it sucks starting so late in the day...makes the wind and heat much worse than first thing in the morning.

Event comments:

Seemed like everybody in the late waves times were down from last year, at least the people I talked to. I was 4 minutes slower than last year, I wanted to be 4 minutes faster! My ranks were down a bit too, so I didn't exactly perform great. I'm ok with it though, I think I did the best I could for that day.

Last updated: 2008-07-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:32:01 | 1640 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/499
Overall: 1594/4089
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeveless Ironman
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:31
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:18:34 | 24.85 miles | 18.98 mile/hr
Overall: 1768/4089
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:05 | 06.21 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 2171/4089
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-25 11:15 AM

User image

Chicago
Subject: Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-08-25 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1625742

User image

Veteran
Ft. Wayne, IN
Subject: RE: Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Great race, conditions did get rougher as the day went. I was in wave 36 and the wind was coming down LSD much stronger than earlier in the AM. You pushed through and got it done, nice job.
2008-08-25 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1625742

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice race. Turning back north at Chicago Ave was a real eye opener. But going south sure was a blast....
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Accenture Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed