General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carpinteria Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-25 5:29 PM

Subject: Carpinteria
I am considering doing the Carpinteria Oly in late September... This will be my first Oly...

I rode the bike course (my only concern) and it looks good with the exception of a few serious hills...! Has anyone done this course? (Was it the same course last year?)

I really really want to conquer this, but some of my friends (non triathletes) think it's too much for my first Oly and I should find a flatter course....

I'm not horrible on hills (I live in Calabasas, we have hills), but I'm not that great either...

Anyone with advice...thoughts?

Thanks!

2008-08-25 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1626963

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Carpinteria

Yup, I do this one every year and except for a diversion due to road construction a few years ago, it is the same course.

The only real serious hill is Toro Canyon and it is not bad at all. There are plenty of long sweeping downhill sections to more than make up the time. (I averaged 20 MPH my last go on this course with a road bike)

The course is very accessible for first timers. Heck, the Oly was my first ever Triathlon and I had a blast out there

Oh, and if you look in the Cal forum, you will see that we already have the race thread going and there are gonna be quite a few of the other BT cool kids besides you doing the race.

2008-08-25 5:44 PM
in reply to: #1626963

Subject: RE: Carpinteria
Thanks so much... I did infact see that post, but I only saw one person's opinion regarding the bike route, so I was hoping to get a few more... !

I'm super nervous, but I think I'll sign up and tackle it....I agree, there are plenty of downhills on the course....Just a few uphills that have me worried..!

Time to do serious hill training in the next few weeks to build confidence...!!

Thanks again so much for responding...I appreciate it..!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Carpinteria Rss Feed