HFP Racing
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 08m 33s
Overall Rank = 27/
Age Group = 50 - 54
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00 AM for a bottle of Odwalla Super protein and a light breakfast. What I do before all my races. Lots of time for it to settle before the race begins. I will have some HEED or a Gel about 20 min or so before the race to "top off the tank"
Event warmup:

Did about 20 min of an easy run with a couple of accelerations in it to get the legs warmed up. It felt good!!! I was ready... But I could tell it would be hot.
Run
  • 25m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Took it easy. I did not want to overdue it. If felt very good and I liked the pace. So far, so good....
What would you do differently?:

I would have gone out a little faster. I was a bit too cautious.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

This was the start of stupid. I got back and could not find my bike. I ran around for a moment to find it. Got a bit flustered, did the switch and took off. Forgot the swig of HEED I had planned and the Thermolyte. This was the start of a disaster...

I will pay more attention to where I put my bike and be MUCH MORE CAREFUL about my fluid, etc. THIS WAS REALLY STUPID!!!!
Bike
  • 1h 27m 53s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.97 mile/hr
Comments:

It was HOT, the wind in your face felt hot. I got into a groove and kept with it. I was so set on staying in my grove that I forgot to take any thermolytes. That and I under drank... This was stage two of disaster. I was so focused on a nice, easy candence ride that I set myself up badly. Around mile 20, I began to feel a little odd. This was not a good sign...

I skipped the gloves. But my hands slid around a bit on the earo bars. I will ware them next time. I will also take a Thermolyte or two every 30 minutes. I do that on marathons. I was an idiot not to take them in the high 80's, high humidity heat of central Ohio in the summer...

This falls into the "what was I thinking catagory!?" Well, I was not... I have crashed from salt problems before...
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

This transition went better. Got back into my running shoes, took a swig of HEED and took off...

Taken a Thermalyte...
Run
  • 1h 10m 49s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

This was where disaster struck... I got the first three miles done but was not feeling right at all. My cloths felt tight and hot, my shoes felt tight and hot. I had a massive headache. I was a sweatty mess and at about mile three or four I just could not run. It was a melt down like some of my early marathons. There was no ability to run. I took my shirt off and walked it out.

My head hurt, my stomach was in deep trouble, I was SOOOOOOOOO HOT!!!!

Not mess up the early part of the race. I was massively dehydrated and totally over heated. I was a heat stroke on a plate ready to serve up a disaster. My poor judgement in the first 80% of the race created a disaster in the last part.... I KNOW BETTER!!!!!!!!!!! Lesson Learned!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked it out and kept moving, drinking as much as I could, putting cold water all over me, I just plane could not cool down. I finely sat in the shade but with it near 90 degrees, the breeze was not a cooling experience... I stayed a couple of hours to cheer on friends from BT and the CincyExpress and then drove back to Cincinnati...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I got VERY dehydrated. I was a dead man walking on the last 2 - 3 miles. I did not follow my hydration plan and it was a disaster... easily added 15 to 20 minutes at the end and boy did I feel lousy.

Event comments:

This was a well run race in a very nice setting... but when you are REALLY STUPID about your hydration, salt, electrolytes, etc... Then you can turn a great day into a challenging one.

Over the rest of the day and through the evening I drank at least 100 ounces of water and I did not take a bathroom break until 4:00 AM. That was 17 hours after the race... now that is ugly.

It is off to the blackboard and write 500 times:

I will take my Thermolytes...

Last updated: 2008-07-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:09 | 03.11 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/
Overall: 18/
Performance: Average
Course: An easy out and back on a path in a state park. It went down to a pond and then back again. It was a pretty run but I am never a fan of the last mile being uphill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 02:37
Overall: Bad
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
01:27:53 | 24.85 miles | 16.97 mile/hr
Overall: 26/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: The course was a very nice rolling hill course through the fields of central Ohio. There were a few pretty good hills but nothing that we could not get over. The peace was wonderful. We shared it with cars that made it a bit interesting but they were pretty nice about going around us. I loved the setting...
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:10:49 | 06.21 miles | 11m 24s  min/mile
Overall: 27/
Performance: Bad
Course: This was the same out and back as the 5K but longer. It was HOT, HUMID and the air was very still running by the ponds below the lake. It was a pretty run and lots of water stations. I like the location a lot.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-26 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: Buck Creek Triathlon Duathlon

2008-08-26 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1629994

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
Subject: RE: Buck Creek Triathlon Duathlon
Great job, Emerson!
2008-08-26 7:39 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
After reading your race report I think I saw you coming in from your run as I was going out. You looked like you really were not enjoying yourself. The heat was brutial that day. Don't beat yourself up too much. Chalk it up to a learning experience and get out there and get it done next time.
2008-08-27 7:42 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Great job on sticking with it and learning from your mistake. I know I made more than a few that day as well. It was a brutal day for almost all of us out there. Sorry I didn't get the chance to meet you. Keep up the good work.
2008-08-27 9:14 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Man I love my salt pills, they are with me every race! Im with you Emerson, its all about sharing the experience with others, not the podium! Great race!!!!!!!!!
2008-08-27 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1631649

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Whoa. If you ever get a tattoo, it should say, "I will take my Thermolytes...."

Glad to see you made it through the race OK, despite NOT taking your Thermolytes.

Great job!

2008-08-28 10:11 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great job sticking this one out when it got tough.

Oh, and I am sure that the memory of this race will be much stronger motivation then scribbling it on the blackboard 500 times :D

Seriously, even under the best of circumstances, getting the dance steps right for a brutal hot day is not easy.

2008-08-28 2:00 PM

User image

Expert
San mateo California

Hell...  you had a great mental race...    Yes it was not pretty, but I am sure you have learned from this experience... right? 

We all have a race like this at one time or another...   mine was just as miserable if not more...   I learned to take my endurolites and never buy shoes before a race...   

Your rock my man...    lessons learned...  now lets back to training and plan the next one... wohooo!!

2008-08-30 6:30 AM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Great job sticking it out in tough conditions! You did an awesome job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buck Creek Triathlon Duathlon Rss Feed