General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Springfield, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
85+F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 45m 19s
Overall Rank = 94/139
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at the campsite. Got up and made coffee. Ate a PB and honey sandwich. Had the bags and bikes packed up and ready to go the night before. My racing partner, Jeremy, and I drove the three miles to the race site. We racked our bikes and got body marked. Saw Justin (JChristoff) and his wife and said hello. We went back to the campsite to hangout away from the venue for a while. I grabbed my wetsuit, just in case the race was wetsuit legal and threw it in the car. At about 7:20 we made our way back to the site, this time with our jockstrap, Judith. I finished setting up my transition area and headed down to the beach. It was announced that the race was wetsuit legal so I put on my wetsuit.
Event warmup:

Got in the water a little did some easy swimming.
Swim
  • 45m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

Entered the water with my AG. I was near the back right of the group. My navigation was horrible. After I made the second 90 degree turn and went into the second straightaway I realized I was some 25-30 yards out from the buoys. This really slowed me down. I feel like I'm a better swimmer than my time shows.
I did keep my HR down and breathe well. I was surprised that it took me so long to complete the swim portion. The swim time includes the long run uphill to the transition area. I stopped before the transition area and took off my wetsuit in the grass.

What would you do differently?:

Sight better
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Fine T1. On par with others this season. I decided to try to put on my socks while standing instead of sitting down like I usually do. Lets just say, I'll be sitting in T1 for the foreseeable future.
I saw Justin in T1 and said hello.

Nothing. Sit down to put on my socks.
Bike
  • 3h 12m 4s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to go out slowly and succeeded! Ha! I tried to keep my average speed around 19MPH for the first loop. I left T1 with only my aero bottle full of Gatorade and 2 empty bottle cages. My plan was to get handups. This worked out ok. Near the end of the first loop my stomach began to seize up and it was difficult to keep drinking. I took a jell on the first loop and nibbled 2/3 of a cliff bar. On the second loop I took another jell and tried to eat the rest of the cliff bar. I stuffed part of it into my mouth and took a sip of water. My tummy said no way, and I ended up spitting the whole mess back out. I focused on trying to keep hydrated but I don't think I got enough fluids. My average speed went way down in the second loop. A few times I really thought I'd just finish the bike and quit.
I saw Jeremy and Justin several times and cheered for them, and they for me. It was nice to see familiar faces on the course.

I'm not sure. Given my tummy issues I think I did ok.
Transition 2
  • 03m 16s
Comments:

This was a long T2. I dismounted my bike and walked into transition. Judith was there and asked me how I was doing. I told her I felt bad. I went ahead and put on my running shoes and hat, took a long drink of water and then decided I needed more sunscreen. I dug around in my bag and found it, put it on and decided I could use some body glide as well. Back into the bag, find and apply. Then I realized my head really hurt so I got some vitamin I as well. Another long drink and a splash over the head and I decided I had wasted enough time. I headed out.

Nothing really, I've had much better T2 performances but I was in survival mode here.
Run
  • 2h 42m 34s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I was not sure if I could finish the run, I was really feeling bad after the bike. I headed out very slowly. I think I ran for about 5 minutes and then started walking. I ended up walking as much as I ran. I finally made it to the turn around and realized that if I kept the same slow pace I could make it. As I came back to the beach Judith was there and she said I could quit. I shot her a look and ignored her (later I told her not to say that again). I walked every aid station and look as much water and ice as I could.
On the second out and back I met a lady named Teresa and we kept each other company. We encouraged each other. She finally broke off from me with about 1 mile left and crossed the finish line about 1 minute before me. On the second lap I'd use the aid stations as rewards. I knew where they were at this point and I'd make myself run to them and then allow myself a walk after I got there. When I finally get to the finish line I jumped across. I was very disappointed with my run. My PB stand alone 1/2 marathon time is just under 2 hours. I was expecting to finish this one in 2:10 or so. The run was much harder than I expected.

?
Post race
Warm down:

UHHHHH, none. Drank some water and ate some food. Crashed on the hill by the finish and tried not to throw up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and the distance.

Event comments:

A well run race. The only issue was that it didn't start on time.

I've had a few thoughts over the last 48 hours since I finished the race. First of all, this is a distance that really needs to be respected. I moved from couch potato to runner to sprint triathlons to Olympic tri's pretty quickly. I finished my first oly within 6 months of being active. I've completed one century ride, many 70+ mile rides, 2 half marys, 3 sprint tri's, 7 olys and several running races in my 2 years since I began training. I've done all this without serious injury and I have never felt burned out. The transition between Sprint distance and oly distance was not that difficult. I figured the transition between oly and 1/2 Iron distance would comparable. This race kicked my ass. I had inflated expectations for my performance and of my abilities. I'm looking forward to my next 1/2 and also IMKY in 2009 but this has humbled me. I realize I have a lot of work to do.
Another thing I've been thinking about is why I enjoy racing. I'll never be a podium finisher. Hell, I'll never be a MOP finisher. But when I was out on the run course with Teresa it kind of hit me, one of the reasons I like this sport because it's a solo activity. But when you’re racing you have the support of the other athletes. I don't really think of these people as my competitors. For athletes like me, MOP and BOPers, we're trying to survive the event and race only against ourselves and our personal limiters. We encourage each other and want the other person to succeed. We're not divided by gender or political party or race. We're united trying to reach our personal goals.
I wouldn't recognize Teresa if I saw her on the street, but I'll never forget how she helped me get across the finish line.

Last updated: 2008-06-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:37 | 2112 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 0/139
Performance: Below average
Suit: Yes :)
Course: 2 lap rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:12:04 | 56 miles | 17.49 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop with moderate hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:16
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:42:34 | 13.1 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 out and backs along a bike path
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-08-26 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman

2008-08-26 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1630478

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman
Great race and you should be very proud of your accomplishment.  From the day I left the couch to my first HIM should be about four years... I have just past three.  Don't beat yourself up on the run.  There is no way to to get close to your PB half mary at the tail end of a HIM unless you train for years.  You should feel good about what you did -- and I would tell my wife the same thing... Emerson
2008-08-27 7:32 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Great job out there David... The run was absolutely brutal for all of us. Don't beat yourself up about this race. That is the thing with HIMs. The weather is out of your control and sometimes you just have to adjust your goals and surrvive. You did it, you finished and now you have a new benchmark to beat.

I too know that I will never be on the podium... but I take each race as a chance to see what I can do... see if I can beat my last time... hit a new high limit... test my metal. You did that and you know that you can persevere.

Congrats David on your first HIM. Keep up the good work.
2008-08-28 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

David congrats on your first HIM! Man I really wanted to be there to cheer you on this past weekend. Sorry to hear about all the trouble you had with your body during race, but as the others have said you finished and that is a huge accomplishment in itself!

I am with you as to why I enjoy racing. I am very slow and a BOP racer and will most likely never see the podium unless everyone else crashes out of the race before me. I just enjoy the crowds, the athletes and how I feel at the end of a race.

Looking forward to next season and surely I will run into you somewhere

-Eric 

2008-08-30 6:39 AM

User image

Expert
Computerland
Great job on the half ironman! You did a really great job sticking it out through those tough conditions. I can't believe you did a half iron in that weather. I was exhausted after my oly!

I am with you on the racing. I am a BOP'er too, and know that I will never win a race; however, I do always try to race against myself and beat my own personal limitations.

You did a great job- and good luck at all your future races!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Buckeye Challenge - Half Ironman Rss Feed