United States
Absolute bikes
80F / 27C
Total Time = 3h 16m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Race had a nice late start and the hotel had free breakfast. I decided to try something new and actually eat prior to a race.
Event warmup:

None
Bike
  • 00m
  • 20 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The first loop did not go well. I was fine until I got into the single track - there the beginner men (doing one loop) caught me and I spent a lot of time allowing faster riders to pass. My legs were definitely wondering what I was doing - hadn't I just done a brick on wednesday? This was the first race I've trained through (no taper) and it definitely showed on that first loop. I decided I hated mountain biking. I hated elevation, that no matter how hard I train I will never feel fast or strong. And that I totally suck at this and every other sport.

It was quite the pity party. As an aside, I never have pity partys while going down hill or on the flats, hmmmm.... Finally I made it to some down hills not littered with huge boulders and got on and actually rode my bike. I passed a girl. I started feeling better. I climbed a toxic little hill and then flew downhill to the end of loop one. I was feeling far better and decided that even though I had let the entire field blow past me days ago, I could still race myself and endevored to do the second loop faster than the first. I held my line better, I rode through more stuff. I didn't have to keep giving up my line for faster riders. I finally passed the guy who had been holding me off for the entire loop. I blew him away in the down hill.
What would you do differently?:

Check my tire pressure (way too much in the front wheel made my descent unneccesarily sketchy)
Post race
Warm down:

Got off my bike. Wanted a Dr Pepper!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am just not strong on the mountain bike. I don't know if its the fact that I seem to only race at elevation, or if I go out too fast, or if the cadence gets out of hand. But I never feel fast on my mountain bike. I always get on it and immediatly wonder if I have trained at all!

Event comments:

All mountain bike races seem to adjourn to bars. All bars chosen for this purpose seem to be ridiculously small for the number of people. There was cheap beer and free pizza. What else is really necessary?

However the awards were the most brilliant I have yet seen. Absolute bikes who put this race on, recycled used bike parts (primarily pedals, derailers, cranks and gear sets), painted them the appropriate color (gold, silver or bronze) and then nailed them to a little stand of wood cut off a tree limb. They were terrific! They even affixed little cards with the race, date and place. They were the best on-the-cheap awards I've ever seen. Mountain bike race organizers know how to do awards on the cheap! And they were great. I love my little bronze cogset on a piece of pine!

Last updated: 2008-07-30 12:00 AM
Biking
00:00:00 | 20 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 5/
Performance: Average
Lap 1 w/ pity party 1:44, lap 2 with no pity party 1:32
Wind:
Course: Course was very well marked. started out as a gradual climb that probably only had meaning due to the elevation (7000'). It got rocky and moderately technical after that. There were some rock descents, but then the whole last part of the loop was a great twisty turny descent with no rocks! I did 2 loops
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right