General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to Eat - Last Meals Before a Sprint Tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-08-31 12:42 AM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: What to Eat - Last Meals Before a Sprint Tri?

This question is specific to a Sprint distance as that is what I'm doing for my first ever tri, but would love to hear advice on the longer distances as well, but the question is this ...

What would be some good meal options and times to eat for the supper and/or late night snack and then breakfast and/or pre-race snack before running a Sprint Tri?

The event begins at 08:00 and I suppose I'll get there between 06:45 - 07:00 am to get setup and prepared.

What should I eat the night before, what time to go to sleep, time to arise and what to eat that morning?

BTW, I don't eat eggs and want to keep sugars and simple carbs to a minimum ...

Thanks!

Edited by klowman 2008-08-31 12:54 AM

2008-08-31 3:22 AM
in reply to: #1639983

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Subject: RE: What to Eat - Last Meals Before a Sprint Tri?
It's all personal preference listed below are just some things I've found to work for me. Just remember the "Nothing New On Race Day" motto. I normally eat a lite meal the evening before a race, something like grilled chicken and a sweet potato. Nothing with to much fiber and I don't stuff myself, which can cause me GI problems the morning of the race or even worse during the race. I eat the pasta the couple days before.

Your breakfast can be whatever your used to eating before going out for training, if it works in training it should work for your race. I may eat cottage cheese, special K, banana at home before driving to the race site so that can be 3 to 4 hours before actual race time for me. I seem to have an hour or longer drive to most races. And of course I have to have my coffee.

I normally eat a hard boiled egg ( I know you don't eat them it's just part of my crazy race breakfast) 90 min before race time cliff bar an hour before race time and a GU or Hammer Gel 15 to 20 minutes before, of course I sip on water throughtout the morning, maybe even some Gatorade.

Of course I don't believe you need to put this much effort or thought into nutrition since it's a sprint, but it's a great way to practice what may work for you in the future if you decide to tackle longer distances were nutrition may play a bigger role.

I pack everything I can the evening before a race so the morning of the race is nothing more then setting up water bottles and cooler, quick meal, restroom duties, and getting a quick shower and hoping in the truck for the drive.

Get your sleep the nights leading up to your race, not the night before when you may toss and turn and have some nerves brewing, I never seem to sleep great the night before a race. I'm a morning person and never have to many issues getting up earlier on race day.

I like to get to the race site when the transition area opens so I can usually park easily, get my stuff all set and have time to use the rest room, do my eating and of course some warming up and light stretching. If I know other BT'ers are going to be racing I try to find them if possible to meet or say hi to the ones I know already. It's always nice to see someone familiar on the course, even if you just met them race morning.

Enjoy the experience and good luck if you did your training you'll be all set!

Edited by rottieguy 2008-08-31 3:28 AM
2008-08-31 10:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

You could do what I did yesterday - a "dry run" (unless your race is within the next couple of weeks!)

I did my sprint distance with my planned sleep & nutrition to see how I would do.

I'll be tweaking a couple of things based on the trial run, but overall, I'm just gonna eat my normal breakfast (chia milk, fruit, protein shake) 2 hours prior to staging.  And then use HEED as my hydration as suggested by my wonderful BT friend, Shaun.

Good luck!

2008-08-31 12:56 PM

Super super new to Tri and was wondering what HEED was?

Thanks.

KJJ

2008-08-31 1:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
Just eat whatever you used to eat. Don't do any changes.
Sprint races are too short to worry about nutrition anyway.

Edited by doubleplay 2008-08-31 1:01 PM
2008-08-31 1:05 PM

Regular
South Carolina
HEED is a powder to mix with your water. Kinda like gatorade only the ones I have drank are all awful tasting.

2008-08-31 4:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

HEED - more engineered than Gatoraid IMO (in my opinion).  Tastes not too bad, a little metalic. The idea behind it is correct osmolality for absorption - different carb instead of sugar. 

This was just recently recommended to me & I tried it during my most difficult workout.  Using it, I didn't barf or even feel nauseated.  (I almost always feel nauseated during a hard workout!).  Osmolality is pretty technical, some people don't get into it.  I was already creating my own osmo mix, but it wasn't working well.  This works better for me due to the carb structure.

Of course - this is ONLY anecdotal (opinion & my experience) evidence.  Do what works for you!!!

2008-08-31 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

Just getting back to this forum - it was late, late last night when I posted it and shortly afterwards I found another thread asking the exact same thing over on page 2.

I apologize for asking the same thing over again - but I could not figure out how to delete one of my own threads and 30 minutes had elapsed and I could no longer edit the post to erase what I wrote.

Sorry for asking what had just been asked a few threads back.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What to Eat - Last Meals Before a Sprint Tri? Rss Feed