General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike ride...First bike problem... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-29 6:20 PM

Rochester New York
Subject: First bike ride...First bike problem...
Today it was the first day above 50 in almost 4months... so i went for my first ride on my brand new bike! I got about 5miles from home and cameup with a flat tire. A guy stopped and actually took me home. I went to fill my tire up and the valve is unlike anything i am use to. It is not the standard one that (was on my old huffy) i am use to. Do they make adaptors for them? Any suggestions as to what i should keep on my bike so if i break down again i wont have to rely on the kindness of others?
Thanks

2004-02-29 6:36 PM
in reply to: #9873

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Subject: RE: First bike ride...First bike problem...
You've probably got the presta valves - you can get an adapter for them - you will need to carry a tube repair kit - I'm ordering the innovations ultrainflate pro - it accepts a co2 cartridge. It will also accept either the presta or schrader valve. This should get you to the product at Bike Nashbar. http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=&subcategory=&brand=&sk...
2004-02-29 6:44 PM
in reply to: #9873

User image

Expert
New Mexico
Sounds like you have a presta valve, and your Huffy had a schraeder valve. My bikeshop gave mean adapter, but to be honest I've never used it. I carry a seat "wedge" pack with spare tube, levers, and CO2 inflator w/cartridges. Never had much luck with portable pumps or with patches on roadside repairs, but carry them for back-up. Hope it helps.

Also handy on the road has been a chain tool, hexkeys, and a swiss army knife.
2004-02-29 8:49 PM
in reply to: #9876

User image

Veteran
Malvern PA
I carry a spare tube and a clip-on bike pump. Most pumps are reversible for Presta or Schraeder valves so it won't matter which you buy. Yours may be reversible as well: Remove the screw-on plastic nozzle from your pump and see if the rubber thingy inside pulls out. If it does just reverse it to the side with the narrower aperture. I tried to find a picture on the net of what I'm talking about but couldn't find a good one. It's not difficult though.

Remember with the CO2 cartridge kits you have to then buy CO2 cartridges. Adapters are about a quarter if you get one, and the LBS should have them. I don't bother with patch kits since tubes are about $3.75. If you keep getting the same flat check the inside of your rim to see if any spokes poke through. If they do you can just tape over them and eliminate the problem.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike ride...First bike problem... Rss Feed