General Discussion Race Reports! » The Oregon Trout City of Portland Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Oregon Trout City of Portland Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Portland, Oregon
United States
City of Portland Triathlon
64F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 36m 7s
Overall Rank = 9/73
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Woke up way too early. High anxiety. I really wanted to win my age group so I could go to Nationals. I also suspected it would be a weak field (so many more people signed up for the oly and this was the first year for the sprint) so I hoped for a high overall result. I didn't know what else to do so I went early. No one was there yet.
Event warmup:

Swam 100 yards
Swim
  • 11m 43s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

They sent out the Oly first on the same course. The only difference was that we turned earlier. I ended up merging with swimmers in the oly and then passing some of them. This was the easiest course to sight on. You swam under a bridge and there was another bridge down river to sight on before turning around. So many points to use.
What would you do differently?:

I probably should not have let the one guy breakaway at the start. I ran out of time to catch him. I was 6 seconds behind at the finish.
Transition 1
  • 02m 58s
Comments:

My wetsuit got stuck. I just need to practice this at home. I put a jersey on in T1 and it kept getting stuck. Enough is enough. I have to buy a sleeveless tri top and wear it under my wetsuit. 16th overall but it was a weak and inexperienced field. It felt like I was 60th.

Switch to shoes on the bike and run in my socks to the mounting line.
Bike
  • 55m 40s
  • 26 kms
  • 28.02 km/hr
Comments:

I am good at descending and loved the winding descent on this course.

nothing. I raced well
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

2nd overall. I wish I could get my T1 down.

I nearly fell getting off the bike. I had new Look cleats on and it felt like I was slipping on ice. It was a slow motion slide finally stopped by a volunteer. The most exciting part was getting into the transition area and realizing there were only a few bikes there. But the best part was the verbal instruction someone was giving me to help me speed up my transition. While I was still running I heard: "your helmet take off your helmet" Strange but it was helpful to keep me focused.
Run
  • 25m 3s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Running is my weak link, but I recovered from the bike and finished the last 1/2 mile strong
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched on the ground

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing

Event comments:

They waited until everyone was back before giving out the awards. For me that meant a 2 hour wait and right before they started it began to rain. They waited a bit longer and then finally gave up and rushed through the awards. If you weren't getting one you were long gone. Sustainability was the theme, but the rear sprocket on a used tube was going a bit too far. The sprocket could work but not with the goofy tube as a chain. There is no indication anywhere on it where it came from.

Last updated: 2008-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:43 | 750 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 2/73
Performance: Good
1:25 per hundred yards. The time and pace doesn't add up. My posted pace of 1:25 per hundred seems about right for no wetsuit. However, I never take much stock in open water splits or times even in these days of GPS
Suit: Zoot Z1
Course: Out and back loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:55:40 | 26 kms | 28.02 km/hr
Overall: 20/73
17.5 mph
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops of a hilly route. Climbs 700 ft on each 8 mile loop. Exciting descents.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:03 | 05 kms | 05m 01s  min/km
Overall: 26/73
8:05 min/mile
Course: Course was one big loop, crossing over the Willamette River on 2 bridges. The first had a steep approach. The second was easy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-09-02 9:58 PM

User image

Master
Lake Oswego, OR
Subject: The Oregon Trout City of Portland Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Oregon Trout City of Portland Triathlon Rss Feed