General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time out for herniated disc Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2008-09-03 5:29 PM

User image

New user

Mid-Michigan
Subject: Time out for herniated disc

After suffering occasional, sometimes nearly debilitating, bouts of lower back pain for the past 21 years after a college wrestling injury, and receiving various therapies -- massage, chiropractic, and physical -- my wife quite rightly insisted to the doctor that I get an MRI this past July. Stuffed in a small tube for 30 or so minutes @ 4:30 in the morning, then off for an extended vacation, where I get the call with the results: herniated L4 disc, pinching nerve.

The difficulty is, I'd been pain free for quite awhile and really getting into a groove with the training, doing something aerobic at least 4 times per week, in addition to weight training. First day of school yesterday, alarm goes off @ 5, I'm struggling to get up and out the door with the pain. Trotted a half block and staggered back home. I'm worried that all of the gains I've made are now for naught, as I wait out the pain.

Sorry to take your time, I'm just belly-aching. Er, venting.

2008-09-03 6:41 PM
in reply to: #1647397

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
Subject: RE: Time out for herniated disc
turnerc - 2008-09-03 5:29 PM

After suffering occasional, sometimes nearly debilitating, bouts of lower back pain for the past 21 years after a college wrestling injury, and receiving various therapies -- massage, chiropractic, and physical -- my wife quite rightly insisted to the doctor that I get an MRI this past July. Stuffed in a small tube for 30 or so minutes @ 4:30 in the morning, then off for an extended vacation, where I get the call with the results: herniated L4 disc, pinching nerve.

The difficulty is, I'd been pain free for quite awhile and really getting into a groove with the training, doing something aerobic at least 4 times per week, in addition to weight training. First day of school yesterday, alarm goes off @ 5, I'm struggling to get up and out the door with the pain. Trotted a half block and staggered back home. I'm worried that all of the gains I've made are now for naught, as I wait out the pain.

Sorry to take your time, I'm just belly-aching. Er, venting.

Don't despair.  There are quite a few athletes who are still quite competitive with herniated discs.

I myself have one at L5-S1 and outside of a few flare ups I'm still able to work out regularly.

I personally think the key is finding a doctor who understands your goals.  There are a number or treatments available depending on the degree of herniation.  Just remember the general rule of thumb...no knife till absolutely necessary.

In my case I was able to get by with a few epidurals, PT, massage, and core work.

Right now it looks bleak I'm sure (that pain can be crippling) but don't get too down!

2008-09-05 6:28 AM
in reply to: #1647543

User image

New user

Mid-Michigan
Thanks for the advice on avoiding surgery. I've got a colleague 10 years younger than me that's twice had his ruptured disc repaired, and he's in pain again, staring at a fusion. And actually, gladly, the neurosurgeon to which we were referred seems pretty conservative, and wasn't particularly interested in knifing me. He actually mentioned acupuncture as another therapy we could try, I know nothing about the procedure, has anyone undergone it for pain relief?
2008-09-05 7:43 AM
in reply to: #1652003

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois

turnerc - 2008-09-05 6:28 AM Thanks for the advice on avoiding surgery. I've got a colleague 10 years younger than me that's twice had his ruptured disc repaired, and he's in pain again, staring at a fusion. And actually, gladly, the neurosurgeon to which we were referred seems pretty conservative, and wasn't particularly interested in knifing me. He actually mentioned acupuncture as another therapy we could try, I know nothing about the procedure, has anyone undergone it for pain relief?

I have had it with some success.  I tend to relate it to massage therapy though in that the results are only as good as the practitioner.  I don't know how to identify good acupuncturists so I only go to ones I have been referred to.

If you have a good reference I would say give it a shot it can be helpful.

2008-09-05 8:29 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

L4/5 here... do a search on this forum and you'll see several posts from people who have also suffered from the amazing pain that a tiny little displacement of a nerve can cause.

I had a diskectomy 4 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.  That was after 2 years of every conceivable non-surgical treatment available.  So while I'm not pushing for surgery, I don't think it's necessarily evil.

For what it's worth I did have a re-herniation in October of last year, and was quite sure I was on the path to a second surgery.  This one, however, responded much better (albeit slowly) to non-surgical treatment.  I did end up having two epidural blocks (steroid injections) into the herniation, and then stretching and rest took care of the rest.

I still have MINOR discomfort every now and then, and know that I'll always have a "bad back" and am at high risk for another herniation.  Good news is I never have to help a friend move again

Good luck with your treatment, whatever route you choose.

2008-09-05 8:54 AM
in reply to: #1652255

User image

Expert
Lake Forest, Illinois
JoshKaptur - 2008-09-05 8:29 AM

I had a diskectomy 4 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.  That was after 2 years of every conceivable non-surgical treatment available.  So while I'm not pushing for surgery, I don't think it's necessarily evil.

I hope my post didn't make people think I thought it was evil, just that IMHO it should be avoided until after those attempts at the non-surgical treatments.

Working in a hospital I hear so many stories from people who have had a surgeon say "Oh your a perfect candidate for microdisc ablation!" without ever having made any serious attempt at less invasive alternatives first.

There are definitely times when surgery is the best option.  I just caution people to maybe get another opinion when someone says that surgery is the first option.

2008-09-05 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
^^^ Totally agree with you. I have a grade 2 spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebra) at L5/S1. I had terrible sciatica down my right leg and could barely walk most mornings. I saw a neurosurgeon who suggested a fusion surgery. I opted to try 6 weeks of physical therapy instead. Unfortunately, I didn't respond at all to the PT - most likely because I was already quite active and had been doing most (if not all) of the exercises for years already. Again, the surgeon pushed for a fusion, which I flat-out refused. Instead, I bought an inversion table, set it up in my spare bedroom, and have been using it daily for the last 9 months. My sciatica is completely gone now. Daily inverting must have decompressed the nerve that was being pinched. I still suffer from minor low back pain, but that's the nature of the beast...especially since I have severe bilateral stenosis and DDD, along with the spondy.
2008-09-15 4:05 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN

I have two herniated discs in my neck (C4 and C5).  I have avoided surgery for 15 years, as I was told surgery would reduce my neck range of motion by 30%.  Stretching and trigger point massage are very important for me, as well as avoiding heavy lifting.  I find that if I lift something heavy or with poor posture I pay for it the next day.

For me, I find that I need to religiosly keep to my stretching and exercising even when I'm not having problems.  Complacency can lay me out for weeks.

2008-09-17 3:22 PM

User image

New user

Mid-Michigan
My newest malady: now I've got pneumonia. School starts, we're back to work and exposed to all the kiddies and their collective crud, and the middle of last week found me with a 102 degree fever, some delightful body aches, and pretty shallow breathing. X-ray results yesterday show right middle lobe has some gunk. But, at least my back is improving, if not my training...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Time out for herniated disc Rss Feed