United States
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 05m 54s
Overall Rank = 6/73
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30..couldn't sleep so I got up and ate my bagel with a bottle of water. I had the car already packed so I took off at 4am for the 90 mile drive. Arrived at 6am..registered and set up. 7am took a gel and another bottle of water.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for a 1 mile ride to check the mechanics. Felt a little tired. Went out for a 1/2 mile run to get the heart rate up. Swam a couple hundred yards and was ready.
Swim
  • 03m 10s
  • 200 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was race bib number 5. I don't know how that happened. I had entered 3 min swim estimate and figured there would be a lot of faster swimmers. We were aloud to move so I moved back to 21st place. We had to walk across a mat and jump in the pool...no diving. I took off and caught the guy in front of me at the first wall. We then caught the lady in front of us 1/2 though the next length and I took off to get away from them. There was no one in my way the rest of the swim. It was one of the best swims I have ever done. I felt smooth at all times and my breathing was right on. Got to the last wall and pulled myself out of the pool and took off to transition. I know it was only 200 yards but I was surprised with the 6th fastest swim time.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

I'm usually faster but still had the 20th fastest time. Breath Rite strip on..number belt on...socks and shoes on...sunglasses on...helmet on and was off.

HTFU
Bike
  • 39m 16s
  • 14 miles
  • 21.39 mile/hr
Comments:

We had a little headwind and some hills going out so I tried to really push the pace and picked off several slower bikers. I got to the turn around and with the slight tailwind and the downhills I was able to really push it coming back. I was averaging 26-27 mph for 6 miles coming back but couldn't catch anybody.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 34s
Comments:

This is always my faster transition...helmet off...shoes off...run shoes on and I was off.

nothing
Run
  • 21m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I took off and my legs felt great. There was an uphill section in the first mile where I caught 2 more people. I was able to pick up the pace coming back down the hill. We had to turn into a park for the turn around, it was getting hot and it was uphill to the turnaround. I counted 6 people in front of me. By the time I had gotten to the turn around I was on fumes. I passed another guy and he was in my age group so it gave me some motivation to keep up the pace. I stopped at a water break coming out of the park for a quick cup of water and took off again. I ran back up the hill and another runner caught me and he was in my age group but started before me in the swim. I paced off of him to the end and with 100 yds to go he took off. I stepped on the gas and there was nothing there.

I haven't been running enough lately.
Post race
Warm down:

Lots of water...Soaked in the wading pool.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little more sleep could have helped. I need to get back into running more. The swim and bike were my 2 best ever.

Event comments:

I like this race. It is very small and informal. It has lots of volunteers from the area and well supported by local police. The 1st place finisher in my age group won the race so it moved me to 1st in age group. I feel the 2600 miles on the bike this year are really starting to pay off as is the TT bike. This is an excellent begginer triathlon with the shorter length and no pressure atmosphere.

Last updated: 2008-09-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:03:10 | 200 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 6/73
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 4 lap pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Shot
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:39:16 | 14 miles | 21.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 7/73
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out and back on city roads and highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good