United States
Mountain Multisport
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 03m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This was the second in a series of 4 races called "Possibilities," where money raised goes to athletes with disabilities. I got home at 12:30 the night before because I was in LA to hear my buddies play at a bar. At 5:10am I got out of bed (not woke up, got out). I think I was too excited. We drove to Fontana, about 50 minutes away and I set up my transition area near the front row of the bike racks. I drank an "Energade," which was a large noncarbonated caffeine drink and I set up my drink, which was made up of Kona Mocha.
Event warmup:

Nothing for the event warm up, I just walked around and checked out all the cool bikes. By now, I am familiar with them. There's the usual Kuota Kalibur, the P3 with its 909s... I don't think I'll ever get tired of this sport!
Swim
  • 00m
  • 100 yards
  • / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

I think next time I will sprint the 100. I keep telling myself that, but my legs start to cramp up as soon as I jump in.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

T2(?) was long. You run your bike in, throw your shoes off, then run to the other end of transition, then run up the street to the pool. When I ran my bike into the transition area, it got caught on a large back pack that was in the middle of the grassy area. I wasted some time un hooking it, but that was ok. From the end of the Transition area to the swimming pool, I have been told is 100 yards. I ran that thing as hard as I could. The guy next to me was jogging it, so I ended up in front of him. As I neared the pool deck, I popped my goggles on, and jump in, feet first.

Nothing, I thought it was pretty smooth.
Bike
  • 33m
  • 11 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Man, I had such a good time on this course! I started riding in the drops for the beginning, until I felt my heart rate go down, then I rode in aero. I felt really good about myself because I had no trouble passing people up, including one person on a 909! Even though I averaged 20 mph, I stayed in the 26 mph range as I was on the flats and 27.5 as my max speed. I took first lap with its incline at 19mph, but by the third lap, I was doing it at about 16. I felt good with the shifting. This bike is so smooth! I finished the race with more than half the fluids left in the aerodrink, which I like, because I didn't over hydrate myself.

I need a better aero position. I have that aerodrink in front of me, and I think that if I lean too far down, I am going to get poked in the eye! I lowered the straw, but it's not the same.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I think this is T1, so it is where I went from run to bike. I don't know, this is too confusing for me,but I popped on the helmet with no difficulty, and the bike rack was near the exit. It went well.
Run
  • 23m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

No warm down; i just walked around and talked to the others that finished the tri already.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The aerodrink! I need more interval practice! I need work on my turns. They are so slow.

Event comments:

I would definately do this race again! I don't have my rank yet, but I will post it up when the results come in.

Last updated: 2004-12-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 100 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: None!
Course: This race, like most other races in the area start with Run and end with Swim. I think more difficult being backwards because your legs are ready to cramp up by the time you get to the swim leg, and my heart rate is way to high up for swimming. It was just four laps up and down the swimming pool at Heritage Park. I jumped in, feet first into the 3.5 feet deep side, swam breast stroke the first lap. I was going to complete the swim with breast stroke, until I saw people begin to catch up, so I switched to free and maintained my place until I reached the ladder on the other side. No drafting... From this point on, the race is not over. You still had to run 100 yards back to the start/finish line, where timers took your tags. I ran as much as I could for that thing and I managed to pass up someone who was walking it back.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:00 | 11 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: The course was 3 laps around Heritage Park, which was 3.7 miles around. The beginning of the course was made up a very slight decline, which I really liked. It would then flat out, then go into an incline, and as you approach the last turns, you hit that slight decline again. All around the park there were only two obvious turns, as you were doing a large circle anyways.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 104
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:00 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Supposedly the run was 3.1, but I overheard someone saying that it was really much longer. The map shows you running halfway around the course, then doubling back. I don't think it's up to quite 3.7 miles, but I am not sure. I think on my last tri I ran it in 21 minutes, and before that it was 19-something. I need to build back up on my running, but both my knees and my left ankle pop when I run long distances. There was one drink station, but you hit it on the way back. I think for a 5k, drinking is unnecessary.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes