General Discussion Race Reports! » The Iron Distance Race at Plymouth Rock Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Iron Distance Race at Plymouth Rock - TriathlonFull Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Plymouth, Massachusetts
United States
Fast Forward Race Management
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 4 am and had a bowl of Ramen...Ummm. Before we left at 5:45 I had bowl of cream of wheat and a banana and some coffee. I grabbed my bag and headed to transition to meet Kathy G. I called Kathy on the way and she said she was running late. We had done packet pick up the night before and Kathy took the timing chip. We decided I should get a new chip because transition was 1/2 mile from the swim start, and I would be too anxious waiting for Kathy to arrive. Got the new chip and numbers, and then had my body marking done. Walked with my husband to the swim start.They had buses available but I needed to warm up and walk off some nerves!!!!
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 1h 20m
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

We started the swim at the public boat ramp. We were not able to warm up. The swim started off the docks at the boat ramp. There were no ladders to get back onto the dock. We could have gone in the water via the cement boat ramp but it was slimy and full of barnicles and I did not want to risk injury so I decided to just stretch and hope for the best!!!I was in the last wave with the athenas and the clydesdales. I waited with my husband and Kathy G and her family arrived. We chatted for a while and then it was time to get in and swim.

I jumped in from the dock and positioned myself to the middle of the pack. There was very little contact with the start as there were probably only 30 people in my wave. I swam fairly fast for the first 500. I was breathing every stroke which I never do but I was so nervous my heartrate was really high. Once I finished the first length of the jetty I settled into a nice pace.

There were 3 docks along the way with dive teams on each dock. There were alot of kayaks in between the bouys and a few jet skis throughout the course.

I knew I was doing OK because I passed a few of the other colored caps on length 2 and 3. I could hear my family ringing their cow bells and shouting from the jetty. It was kind of fun to actuallly have my family see me swim!! I wanted to yell Hi or wave but that might have caused the dive teams to think I was in trouble so I waved each time I stroked...bad form...but fun!

Once we finished the 3rd length we had to round a double bouy and swim into a channel in the harbor that was filled with boats. As I was swimming into the harbor it seemed as if the double bouy was moving. The waves were much larger. I then heard the divers from the dock yelling at me. I stopped, and they told me that the bouy had let loose and to stop following the boat!!!!! I was relieved and turned toward the next bouy in the harbor...I probably lost a little time chasing the boat!Its really hard to sight in the wake of a boat. Once I passed the next 2 bouys I could see the Mayflower and I kicked it up a little. I got to the dock I climbed up the ladder but got a cramp in my calf which I had to stop for a minute and work out. I then ran up the ramp and off to transition which was about 1/4 of a mile away!!! I ran pretty fast and actully passed a few people.

Kathy G took my chip and away she went!!!!!!Pike on a Bike!!!!I talked with Todd (our amazing runner) and then we headed to the bike course to watch for Kathy!!!!
What would you do differently?:

I would do absolutely nothing different!!!! We had a great time at this race. We cheered for Kathy each bike loop...it seemed that she got stronger with each loop which was just incredible!!! While Kathy biked we had a barbeque with friends and family. When Kathy passed on her last loop we headed to transition to send off Todd. Kathy passed off to Todd we headed to the run course to cheer.

It was alot of fun on the run course and most of the participants were greatful for our cheers and "waves". Once Todd did his last loop we headed to town for the finish line. It was incredible to watch Todd cross the finish line...he gave his all for our team!!!

What a feeling to be part of such a wondeful team. A great day with friends and family. This is my second season doing triathlons and it was an honor to be part of this team. It was an unforgettable experience!
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 112 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race

Last updated: 2008-08-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:00 | 3862 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: full wetsuit
Course: The course was along the rock jetty in Plymouth harbor. We did 3 lengths of the jetty then out into the harbor which was filled with boats through a channel lined with bouys. The course ended on a dock alongside the Mayflower.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 112 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-04 5:45 PM

Uxbridge
Subject: The Iron Distance Race at Plymouth Rock
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Iron Distance Race at Plymouth Rock Rss Feed