United States
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M19-24
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Nothing...does a century and lots of drinking the day/night before count?
Event warmup:

Nothing
Swim
  • 1h 26m
  • 5468 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

Couldn't spot the turn around when I was in the water. Got spread out and didn't really know where I was swimming. Musta gotten off course quite a bit. Going out was easy and I was just on cruise control. Coming back the chop was up and it was gnarly. A couple times my entire body was submerged and it pissed me off. I was trying to hold a good stroke and it just wasn't happening. Last 1000 or so chop wasn't that bad and I put it in sprint mode. Passed lots of ppl last 1000. Actually knew I was passing ppl because they funnel you in near the end.
What would you do differently?:

Get a paddler to guide me
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Adding lots of yards to the swim by not having a paddler to guide me. I also did a century ride with 4600ft climbing the day before.

Event comments:

Killer event. I love it keeps it old school. Not hyped and low key. 78 years and I bet not much has changed. They wait till the afternoon to make sure the chop is up to start the race. It is one MASS START with 576 ppl all beating on each other first 1000 yds. All you see is white water first 1000 yds from all the swimmers all around you. Then when you get back you get a protein bar, medal, and t-shirt then go home. I love how they have a time cut-off that has lots of ppl not finish. I think for endurance events time limits should be a huge factor. IM, long swims, marathons etc.... Time limits should all be dropped and challenge everyone competing.
It seemed that almost everyone competing was an Ironman. Tons of the tattoos, t-shirts, swim caps of IM stuff. Spectators were also all wearing IM gear. Felt like I was about to start an IM rather than a swim.

AWESOME EVENT...plan to do it annually. Next yr I will have a paddler though...

Last updated: 2008-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:00 | 5468 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
41 out, 46 back
Suit: Just my speedo
Course: Out to Scripps pier and back.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average